Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANSs with 1 bridge group for DLSw+

I am working on a network with a DLSw+ on a 6500 MSFC with multiple VLANs. There is one bridge group and it is mapped to DLSw + and to each VLAN. It is working, but I want to know if there is an and advantage placing each VLAN in it's own bridge group and mapping each bridge group to DLSw+.

I have an example of the config I am referring to below: I would appreciate any feedback or comments on this.

bridge 1 protocol ieee

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.88.1.2 group 1 border promiscuous

dlsw bridge-group 1

dlsw bridge-group 2

dlsw bridge-group 3

dlsw bridge-group 4

dlsw bridge-group 5

dlsw bridge-group 6

dlsw bridge-group 7

dlsw bridge-group 8

!

!

int vlan 10

bridge-group 1

int vlan 11

bridge-group 2

int vlan 12

bridge-group 3

int vlan 13

bridge-group 4

int vlan 14

bridge-group 5

int vlan 15

bridge-group 6

int vlan 16

bridge-group 7

int vlan 199

bridge-group 8

Thanks,

Bruce

3 Replies 3

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

Your current reduce traffic among VLANs. Bridge traffic will not among different VLANs in your setup. If you set up a bridge group to cover all VLANs, bridged traffic from one VLAN may forward to all the VLANs.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that if I use one bridge group for all the vlans that I will have excessive traffic because the bridged traffic will be broadcast to all vlans?

And if I use multiple bridge group with a different bridge group for each vlan I will still have DLSW connectivity, but less traffic.

Is that right?

Bruce

exactly.

When the router receives bridged packet whose destination MAC address is not on the router's bridge table, the router will flood the packet to all the VLANs if all the VLANs are on the same bridge group. Similary, the router forwards broadcast traffic to all VLANs.

If different VLANs are under different bridge group, the traffic mentioned above is noly forwarded to DLSw.l

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: