Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Management vlan with ESXi / NK1v

NaelShahid_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am looking to create a mgmt VLAN which on which ESXi mgmt, NK1 (all required elements), upstream N5K’s and core 6500 should reside. I am new to NK1 so I am unsure how this should be done with system vlans etc....

Can I create a vlan defined for mgmt on the core 6500 and NK5’s then trunk this vlan down to ESXi and define this as system mgmt vlan for NK1?

I have noticed within NK1 documentation a vlan (128) is added as the native vlan on ESXi uplink ports and this is also defined as a system vlan within NK1?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nael,

Firstly, it is recommended to have seperate VLANs for the Nexus 1000v (control/management/packet) - while most people configure two (management VLAN and a control/packet VLAN). Both of these VLANs would be defined as system VLANs on the Nexus 1000v.

That being said, in terms of your management VLAN example, you are on the right track. Define your management VLAN on the 6500, Nexus 5000s and Nexus 1000v. The management VLAN should be configured as a system vlan in two port-profiles. This first would be the system-uplink port-profile (which is of type ethernet and is applied to the ESXi uplink ports). The second will be the management port-profile (which is of type vethernet and is applied to the ESXi management vmknic). This ensures that the management VLAN is always forwarding traffic.

You may specify the management VLAN as native if your devices are expecting it to be untagged traffic.

Hope that helps.

Michael

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nael,

Firstly, it is recommended to have seperate VLANs for the Nexus 1000v (control/management/packet) - while most people configure two (management VLAN and a control/packet VLAN). Both of these VLANs would be defined as system VLANs on the Nexus 1000v.

That being said, in terms of your management VLAN example, you are on the right track. Define your management VLAN on the 6500, Nexus 5000s and Nexus 1000v. The management VLAN should be configured as a system vlan in two port-profiles. This first would be the system-uplink port-profile (which is of type ethernet and is applied to the ESXi uplink ports). The second will be the management port-profile (which is of type vethernet and is applied to the ESXi management vmknic). This ensures that the management VLAN is always forwarding traffic.

You may specify the management VLAN as native if your devices are expecting it to be untagged traffic.

Hope that helps.

Michael

great - thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: