Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000V - Control - Packet Interfaces - vSwitch

Hello,

Is it possible to leave Control interface and Packet interface of my VSM on a standard vmware vswitch ?

Same question as above for the management interface ?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sure it is possible to leave the VSM on a vswitch if you can spare the extra physical uplinks for the vswitch.

The VSM can reside on a server running a virtual Ethernet module (VEM), or a VMware vSwitch or DVS. If the host is running a VEM, that VEM can be managed by the VSM on the same host or a VSM on another host.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4_b/install/software/guide/n1000v_install_software.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sure it is possible to leave the VSM on a vswitch if you can spare the extra physical uplinks for the vswitch.

The VSM can reside on a server running a virtual Ethernet module (VEM), or a VMware vSwitch or DVS. If the host is running a VEM, that VEM can be managed by the VSM on the same host or a VSM on another host.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4_b/install/software/guide/n1000v_install_software.html

Thanks.

To finish :

I isolated Control and Packet Interface in a spacial VLAN (300).

I connected Control and Pakcet interface in standard vSwitch in a VM port group with vlan 300.

Uplinks connected to VSM weren't vlan 300 allowed.

Uplinks connected to standard vSwitch were vlan 300 allowed.

In this configuration, VSM can't see the VEM.

If I migrate one physical nic from standard vswitch to N1KV switch, VSM can see VEM. No other modification was applied.

Have you any idea about this problem ?

Are you doing L2 or L3 control? If you are doing L2 control then vlan 300 needs to be present on the links to the vSwitch and to the N1Kv switch.

Assuming L2. Since you put control on vlan 300 we will use that vlan to talk to all the VEM modules on the ESXi hosts.

louis

You didn't write whether the VSM is on a VEM'ed host or not.

If VEM and VSM is on the same host and you use L2 mode then think about the following. vSwitch and VEM cannot be interconnected inside the host, only via outside physical uplinks and physical switch.

Thanks Peter.

My VSM is running on VEM'ed host.

In fact I'm in L2 mode.

Is a good thing ?

Can I migrate to L3 mode without network shutdown ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: