cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v L3 mode - what to do with control vlan?

jshiffler
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to setup a Nexus 1000v in layer 3 mode and have been using the doc "Nexus 1000V Configuration with Layer 3 Cheat Sheet version 2.0" as a reference. Pretty helpful guide by the way. My plan is to use the mgmt0 interface along with a Management Port group to do the L3 communication with the VEMs. My question is on the VLAN for Control Port Group. The doc shows putting the control port group in vlan 1. This is for a service provider environment so we don't like to create yet another VLAN if we don't really need to. What's the requirement for the vlan of control port group vlan in this case? Can I use the same vlan as the management port group. Do I really need to create another vlan just for this control port group? In L3 mode what exactly does the Control Port Group do if you are using the management port group for L3 communication?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're using the Mgmt0 for your Control traffic in L3 mode, then you can assign any VLAN you want to the Control VLAN Interface - this will be used solely for VSM Primary to VSM Secondary communication.  This VLAN needs to be L2 present between both VSMs.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're using the Mgmt0 for your Control traffic in L3 mode, then you can assign any VLAN you want to the Control VLAN Interface - this will be used solely for VSM Primary to VSM Secondary communication.  This VLAN needs to be L2 present between both VSMs.

Regards,

Robert

Ok so the VLAN the control port group gets assigned to doesn't even need to exist and even if it did wouldn't see any N1KV related traffic?

For VSM (pri) - VSM (sec) this VLAN will be used.  Ensure you have the Control Interface VLAN allowed end-to-end between the two VSMs.

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: