cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v overdraft licenese

vvrusilowicz
Level 1
Level 1

I am recieivin a log message that I am using more that the installed ammount of licenses.

%LICMGR-2-LOG_LIC_USAGE: Feature NEXUS1000V_LAN_SERVICES_PKG is using 26 licenses, only 22 licenses are installed. Please make sure enough licenses are installed for the VEMs

I appear to be covered by using the overdraft licenses at the moment.

LU1-1000V# sh license usage NEXUS1000V_LAN_SERVICES_PKG

----------------------------------------

Feature Usage Info

----------------------------------------

Installed Licenses : 22

Default Eval Licenses : 0

Max Overdraft Licenses : 16

Installed Licenses in Use : 22

Overdraft Licenses in Use : 4

Default Eval Lic in Use : 0

Default Eval days left : 0

Licenses Available : 12

Shortest Expiry : Never

I can not find any documentation statiing what I am losing by running some VEM's with overdraft licenses.  Is anyone familure with what, if any, functionality i am losing by using overdraft livenses?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nchannab
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vincent,

N1KV overdraft licenses provides the same functionality as installed pernament licenses on the N1KV.  There is no loss of any functionality with using overdraft licenses. 

N1KV provides built-in limited number of overdraft license to help customer plan better with their N1KV license needs. Overdraft license are used when installed pernament licenses are short in numbers and completely used.  This helps customer provide time to install the required number of additional N1KV pernament licenes with out lossing any functioanlity.

The log message is a notification to admin stating the N1KV is running short of required number of N1KV pernament license and shortage is substuited by builtin overdraft license. Over the time customer are encouraged to install the required additioanl N1KV pernament licenses so that  built-in overdraft licenses are restored to its orginal state.

If you think, if your N1KV environment is well within the installed pernament licenses and usage of overdraft license and its Log messgae is wongly shown, please contact N1KV customer support, we will help take a loook and resolve the issue.  Also please provide the output of following command information from N1KV VSM.

1) show module 

2) show license usage NEXUS1000V_LAN_SERVICES_PKG

Thanks

Nagabhushan

Nexus1000V Manager

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sprasath
Level 1
Level 1

Functionality is the same as a regular license when you use overdraft licenses. Some information about overdraft license:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_2_2_1/license/b_Cisco_Nexus_1000V_License_Configuration_Guide_2_2_1_chapter_010.html#concept_9FFF5382B7FC40D1A93EC38EE406350E

But it is advisable to buy licenses and install them when you start using up the OD licenses. They are meant to prevent immediate service disruption etc.

Thanks,

Shankar

nchannab
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vincent,

N1KV overdraft licenses provides the same functionality as installed pernament licenses on the N1KV.  There is no loss of any functionality with using overdraft licenses. 

N1KV provides built-in limited number of overdraft license to help customer plan better with their N1KV license needs. Overdraft license are used when installed pernament licenses are short in numbers and completely used.  This helps customer provide time to install the required number of additional N1KV pernament licenes with out lossing any functioanlity.

The log message is a notification to admin stating the N1KV is running short of required number of N1KV pernament license and shortage is substuited by builtin overdraft license. Over the time customer are encouraged to install the required additioanl N1KV pernament licenses so that  built-in overdraft licenses are restored to its orginal state.

If you think, if your N1KV environment is well within the installed pernament licenses and usage of overdraft license and its Log messgae is wongly shown, please contact N1KV customer support, we will help take a loook and resolve the issue.  Also please provide the output of following command information from N1KV VSM.

1) show module 

2) show license usage NEXUS1000V_LAN_SERVICES_PKG

Thanks

Nagabhushan

Nexus1000V Manager