Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1010 weird HA mechanism

l.metzger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

We are in the middle of the installation of 2 Nexus 1010 appliances.

the two appliances have a failover mechanism where you have only one address for the cluster of appliance. I don't think that it is a good idea because the Vsm on the appliance already has its own HA mechanism. on the contrary, the appliance HA mechanism is confusing because you can only access by telnet the primary appliance. What if your active VSM is running on the secondary appliance? how to access Out of band to this one?

It would make more sense to me if each appliance 1010 would be standalone?

am I missing something here? any ideas on why we use Ha for the Nexus 1010?

Thank you

laurent

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Reply 1

Petr Mojzisek
Level 1
Level 1

First of all. According to the documentation Nexus 1010 is not supported in standalone scenario.

• The HA standalone role is not supported for the Cisco Nexus 1010.

• Cisco Nexus 1010 is not supported in the non HA mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_p_1_4_a/install_upgrade/guide/n1010_installupgrade_install.html#wp1065391

I see the HA mechanism between N1010 as a way how to manage them. Nothing more, nothing less. N1000V on top of them do have their HA mechanism. I am able to reach standby N1010 VSM either by:

• ssh to the LOM port of the standby N1010, then connect host and then login virtual-service-blade or
  • ssh to the N1010 cluster address and then login virtual-service-blade secondary

Petr

Message was edited by: Petr Mojzisek