Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596UP Question

Amit Singh2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I have a very basic question around Nexus 5596UP switches.

One of my customer is looking to buy  two 5596UP switches for a DC and put in next to each other..

My question is that can these 5596UP switches be joined together as a stack ? or something similar to VSS  ?

I have seen people talk about vPC. But my understanding is that vPC is used to configure something similar to ether-channel but on two separate physical switches..Example Core 1 Core 2 separate physical switches but connected by inter-connect... And access switch connect to both core 1 and 2 for redundancy.these links from access-layer switch can be part of vPC so that none of the link goes into blocking mode to avoid loops etc.

Can Nexus 5596UP be joined together ?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Amit,

No the Nexus switches are not stackable.  As you metioned, they use vPC in place of technologies such as VSS.  This provides switch/asic/port level redundancy while maintaining separate independent control planes on each switch.

The 5596 can also make use of remote Fabric Extenders (FEXs) which are managed, configured & controlled by the parent N5K.  This extends the port count and reach of the N5K while keeping management unified.    You can also connect these FEXs to a pair of N5Ks for added redundancy.

Regards,

Robert

Dear Robert

Your reply confirms that my understanding was right.

Thanks for your reply. My last question. Let's say I have two nexus 5596 switches. Sw1 and 2

And I have a stack of 3750 switches.

Can 3750 stack connect to sw1 and sw2 and ether-channel can be configured ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Indeed.  You can do a muti-chassis etherchannel from your 3750's up to each N5K using vPC.  Both the 3750 stack and a pair of vPC N5Ks function as a single "logical" switches, so you can definately create an etherchannel between them.

Robert

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Amitpal,

Nexus 5596UP Question

You can use VPC inorder to connect them together.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: