cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 port-channel to ESXi host running on Dell 910 and 810

jacksonb03
Level 1
Level 1

Was wondering has anyone had any experience with configuring a port-channel going back to ESXi host. My basic config is below. My issue is with what to put in the spanning-tree port type. Do I use normal, edge, network, or edge trunk?? Yes I have read most of the documentation out there but am just a lil confused. I just wanna be right.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for the Vswitch config as well that would be much appreciated.

int PO 201

desc 01_6-1

switchport mode trunk

switchport access vlan 99

switchport trunk native vlan 777

switchport trunk allowed vlan 220,300,310,320-321,350,390-391

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 420,777

spanning-tree port type normal (what should go here)

speed auto

medium p2p

no shutdown

!

int e8/11

desc 01_6-1

channel-group 201 force

!

int e10/11

desc 01_6-1

channel-group 201 force

Thanks Guys

5 Replies 5

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It should be " Spanning-tree port type edge trunk "

If you are doing a port-channel to ESX, I would put the mode "ON".

Sam and Amit,

Can I make the change without causeing an outage?

Spanning-tree port type edge trunk

Also does anyone have V-switch config

Well, if you change the spanning port type, there will be a slight disruption but port will transition to forwarding immediately so you could have a few pings timeout. This will be fairly quick though.

There is no specific V-switch config that someone can provide. I dont know that process. As far as you have the uplink ports defined and your VM's connect to the " port-group", that all should work fine.

Sam Byers
Level 1
Level 1

Short answer: You could use spanning tree port type edge (trunk; if it's going to be a trunk). The vswitch isn't really a switch, it doesn't participate in spanning tree, so it's fine to make it an edge port.

In my experience, many VMware guys don't like port channels as much as the other more host-centric NIC teaming methods. I think this has to do with ESX having a less than stellar implementation of etherchannel/LACP early on.

Have you seen this doc already? I know the Cisco example is for Catalyst, but the ESXi config should apply.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004048

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: