Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9000 40Gb ports

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello there,

I was wondering if I may connect a fex or something else in the 40Gb ethernet ports on the Nexus 9000 platform.

I'm not planning to run ACI on it, just use the 40Gb fabric.

For instance: The Nexus 9396PX has 12x40Gb ports. Could I connect some fex on it? or use this to create a vpc peer-link?

Thank you.
Richard

3 Replies 3

j.wang1701
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard,

as far as I know, FEXs are supported on N9K. See: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/guide-c07-730115.html

Below "Figure 1".

Well, vpc peer-link doesn't really have to use all 12x 40G ports, does it? :-P

I come from design background and just wondering, why you buy a so expensive N9K only for 40G Ports....maybe you plan for ACI in the future? For 40G Fabric, N6K would do.....maybe not enough ports? ...no attention to ask too many details. Sorry if I go too far away.  :)

Thanks j.wang,

I receive a reply from Cisco about it.

They said that i can use these ports as I wish running N9K with nxos mode (non-ACI).

Richard

My 2c

Be aware, that is not easy, to migrate a Nexus 9k from NX-OS to ACI ! The inital released linecards support NX-OS, but not ACI !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: