cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Lab Question

djensen
Level 1
Level 1

Just getting wet around the ears on the Nexus line and have two small labs with a couple simple questions:

Environment 1:

1. Single N5K.

2. Cisco UCS C-Series C220 M3 w/VIC1225.

3. VNX SAN

As a test, I would like to leverage the NIC virtualization technology to "unify" both normal LAN and iSCSI traffic.  Obviously wouldn't be using vPC as I only have a single switch in this lab.  Should this be possible is my only question?  Just looking for reassurance.

Environment2:

1. Two N5K w/L3

3. Two B22 FEX Modules

4. Dell M620 w/QLogic 10GB CNA

5. VNX SAN

As a test, I would like to leverage the NIC virtualization technology to "unify" both normal LAN and iSCSI traffic as well as vPC.  Has anyone successfully connected QLogic vNICs to N5K with vntag on the switchport?

Sorry for the noob questions but really want to ensure I don't start this by banging my head early.

Thanks,

D

7 Replies 7

djensen
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have thoughts on this simple yes or no question? 

1. Can adapter-fex be used between the UCS and N5K (no vPC as it is a single N5K)?  Any limitations?

2. Can adapter-fex be used between a QLogic 10GB CNA and a pair of N5Ks?

The goal is to unify both LAN and iSCSI traffic on a "single wire."

Thank you,

D

Hello,

1. Can adapter-fex be used between the UCS and N5K (no vPC as it is a single N5K)?  Any limitations?

Yes, you can A-FEX between UCS/VIC 1225 and N5K.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns1118/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/adapter-fex/521n11/b_5k_Adapter_FEX_Config_521N11_preface_00.html

2. Can adapter-fex be used between a QLogic 10GB CNA and a pair of N5Ks?

No.

Padma

Thanks for the reply.  Truly appreciated.  In regards to question #2, is there any way to "virtualize" the two types of traffic on a single wire without vntag?  It would be ideal to run both LAN and iSCSI traffic this way utilizing the CNA HBA functions for SAN traffic while using the same pipe for data.  If not, that is too bad and I'll have to utilize two wires, I suppose.

Thanks,

D

Hello,

CNA offer the ability to use same wire for LAN and FC ( FCoE )  traffic.

In your scenario,  iSCSI will be carried over NICs and is part of LAN traffic. You can use a separate VLAN for iSCSI and differentiate from other other LAN traffic.

Padma

Padma, again thanks for the feedback but I think I must still be missing something.  Here is what I have:

1. Dell M620 Blade server

2. QLogic CNA with iSCSI HBA offloading capabilities (Dual 10GB ports) - 8200 series I believe

3. Pair of Cisco Nexus B22 FEX in Dell chassis

4. Pair of Cisco N5Ks

I want to utilize the dual 10GB ports for both LAN and iSCSI rather than using an completely separate NIC in another fabric slot of my chassis.  This would reduce my cabling, power, etc.  With that said, are you saying all I need to do is create a separate VLAN for iSCSI, have the CNA iSCSI HBA offload the processing and have the N5Ks provide QoS to that specific iSCSI VLAN?  Is it that simple?

Does the above layout and questions sound reasonable or am I missing something in this proposed configuration?  I'm about ready to embark on this solution and was hoping for some reassurance.  Thanks in advance!

D

>> With that said, are you saying all I need to do is create a separate VLAN for iSCSI, have the CNA iSCSI HBA offload >> the processing and have the N5Ks provide QoS to that specific iSCSI VLAN?  Is it that simple?

Yes, you don't need seperate physical NIC card for iSCSI traffic.