Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus1000V - vethernet trunk limitations

hleschin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

in the release notes for version 4.2(1)SV1(4a) I found a limitation about the vethernet trunk interfaces. 256 veth trunk are supported for the whole DVS with a maximum of 8 veth trunks per host.

For a new n1v environment we need more then 8 veth-trunks per host. In a n1v test environment we have currently 2 hosts with ESXi4.1  installed, each host with 25 vethernet trunk and 19 vethernet non-trunk interfaces. Because this configuration is working it seems, the limitation with 8 veth-trunks per host isn't hard coded. Currently we don't see any issues with these 25 veth-trunks.

But what is the reason to have a limit (or recommendation) with only 8 veth-trunks per host ?

Thanks Hendrik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hendrik,

Apparently its more of a test/scale issue then something in the code that would cause you grief.

I think you are ok to continue with what you are doing.

louis

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We don't see too many customers that want to create that many trunk veth interfaces. Most likely the number we support is what we tested but is not a code limitation.

Let me ask engineering and see if I can get an answer for you on if having that many veth trunks is a problem.

louis

Hi Louis,

let me add, that in this special n1v environment  we will not have more than 4 hosts.

It's for a large Firewall centralization and virtualization project. The firewall VMs we have there, control the access between some hundred server vlans. It's much easier for us and the firewall team,  to manage 1-2 veth trunk interfaces per Firewall-VM  instead of ~100 veth access interfaces/port-profiles per VM.

Thanks for you support

Hendrik

Hendrik,

Apparently its more of a test/scale issue then something in the code that would cause you grief.

I think you are ok to continue with what you are doing.

louis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: