Views
Helpful
Replies

No communications after reboot on WS-X6748-GE-TX ports

moitessier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I really need help on this, I have two 6513 with 2 Supervisor 720 and 8 interface modules. The switches run in Hybrid Mode (CatOS 8.3(4) + IOS 12.2(17a)SX4).

After a switch reboot all servers come up and communicate if connected on a WS-X6548-GE-TX module but if a server is connected on WS-X6748-GE-TX module and the port is set to 100/full the server will not communicate until I do a port disable/enable. On the same module all ports configured as 1000/full work well also. Right after the reboot all such ports (100/full on WS-X6748-GE-TX) will result connected but I can?t see any mac address on them. The server interface it?s configured as 100/full and I have the same problem on different platforms (Intel-Microsoft, SUN, AS400, etc.).

I really hope someone can help me, Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You're running a "Deferred" version of IOS (i.e. withdrawn because of serious bugs) so the first thing I'd do is upgrade your IOS.

There are a lot of bugs relating to this card, such as this one:

Ports on a WS-X6748-GE-TX switching module, hardware revision 2.1, stop sending traffic when configured to operate only at 10 Mbps or only at 100 Mbps. This problem is resolved in Release 12.2(18)SXE. (CSCsa76031)

If you can, I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version -> 12.2(18)SXF7.

HTH - plz rate if useful.

Andrew.

Thanks for your support,

one more question...

do you think this bug report applays on IOS-CatOS Hybrid systems? (I'm having this problem onhybrid systems)

Thanks again

I recently completed an IOS upgrade on the 6513's thatI support. Cisco TAC suggested that we only upgrade to 12.2(18)SXF6 as it is "Safe Harbour code" We are running our 6513's in Native IOS.

Hi,

Here's the full text of the release notes relating to this caveat:

"On WS-X6748-GE-TX linecard ports, configured for speed 10 or 100 Mbps, may stop

transmitting frames. The out-Discard counter starts counting up. Mac address

learning on the port stops.

This occurs on hardware revision 2.1 when running 12.2(18)SXD3, or 8.4(1),

8.4(2), 8.4(2a) software. Older hardware revisions or older software do not

appear to be affected.

Workaround: Reset the linecard. This will resolve the stuck condition until

the port is reset again.

The issue can also happen configuring the speed to auto when the speed change on

the other peer

Workaround: toggle the speed from 10 Mbps to auto. This will resolve the stuck

condition until the port is reset again."

So - it appears to affect both hybrid and native mode systems.

HTH

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: