cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV-Extended VLAN Gateway

shasanain
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on this design where the DC VLANs that need to be extended to DRC via OTV have their gateways as SVIs on a server agg VSS. So there is no FHRP in DC. The other side (DRC) server aggregation is a pair of VDCs on N7K. See figure for connectivity summary.

I need to maintain the gateway IP address on both sides for each extended VLAN. So for VLAN100 the gateway in DC is SVI-100 on the VSS pair with IP address 10.0.0.254 while in the DRC side it is an HSRP VIP address of 10.0.0.254. This is required to maintain the server network card configuration once it is moved from DC to DRC.

In order to avoid tromboning traffic destined across VLANs and prevent it from traversing the OTV link, what possible solutions are available? I have been reading OTV design and best practices documentation and I think FHRP isolation is irrelevant, or is it?

1 Reply 1

David_Che
Level 1
Level 1

Although FHRP is not issue here, but you still need to block 'ARP for default gateway' and 'MAC address of default gateway' which is advertised by IS-IS.

you can refer this link for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/whitepaper/DCI3_OTV_Intro.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: