Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routeing issue in Catalyst 3550 24 port EMI Switch

We purchase one catalyst 3550 switch in assumption that we can implement Private-VLAN and layer 3 features on it as it is mentioned below URL:

we created several protected ports and VLANs and assign IP address to this vlans but could not able to make static route between them as it is mentioned that

"Traffic cannot be forwarded between protected ports at L2, all traffic passing between protected ports must be forwarded through a Layer 3 (L3) device. "

Is't my Cisco Catalyst 3550 24 EMI Switch is not layer 3 switch or what. How can I implement routing between vlans on the same switch.

Can any body help me to solve this problem.

Thanks in Advance.

2 REPLIES

Re: Routeing issue in Catalyst 3550 24 port EMI Switch

Routing between vlans will probably not be your problem. It is harder to forward traffic to other hosts in the same subnet.

Normally all traffic for the local subnet is not forwarded to the default gateway, instead an arp is sent for the dest ip. It is this arp that gets lost if you do not configure anything.

So I am curious to see how you have approached this case.

Could you please post your config and some explanation about who is to connect to whom?

Regards,

Leo

Re: Routeing issue in Catalyst 3550 24 port EMI Switch

By default routing is not enabled on C3550 switches. in the global config, you need to issue router rip/ospf/static and then add routes if you need to depending on the protocol you are using. C3550 supports wide ramge of routing protocols fior example :::::::::

bgp Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)

egp Exterior Gateway Protocol (EGP)

eigrp Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)

igrp Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP)

isis ISO IS-IS

iso-igrp IGRP for OSI networks

mobile Mobile routes

odr On Demand stub Routes

ospf Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)

rip Routing Information Protocol (RIP)

static Static routes

Just use the one which you need. I have C3550s and have never experienced any problem.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content