cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing with vipa - urgent

wsitu
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to run rip with the mainframe and configure vipa omproute. the mainframe is getting rip routes from the router. however, the router does not see the vipa address in it's routing table. according to ibm "routing with vipa" manual, when configured omproute the vipa interface needs to conifgure as

Interface IP_Address=9.63.3.18

Name=VIPA

Subnet_Mask=255.255.255.0

MTU=1500

;

This however does not seem to advertise the vipa address in rip.

The following cisco white paper shows the key word "RIP" preceding the interface. Which i believed how it advertise this interface in rip.

RIP_Interface IP_Address=10.64.3.17

Name=VIPALINK

Subnet_Mask=255.255.255.240

MTU=1470

;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/products_tech_note09186a00800b4525.shtml

Can someone please clarify the correct configuration how i would advertise the vipa address in rip? or do i need to advertise it at all? thanks.

1 Reply 1

rudivn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Wayne,

I am not quite clear from your note whether you are running RIP on the Host and is trying to run OSPF as well. I guess you are trying to say that you are running RIP outside of the host and setup OSPF(OMPROUTE) on the Host. You will have to configure the VIPA in the OSPF configuration file and below is an example of how I have done this for quite a few customers.

OSPF_INTERFACE

IP_address=XX.XX.XX.141

Subnet_mask=255.255.255.252

Name=VLINK1

Demand_Circuit=no

Attaches_To_Area=1.2.0.1

MTU=1500

Retransmission_Interval=5

Router_Priority=0

Hello_Interval=3

Dead_Router_Interval=12

Cost0=3

;

I take it that you are redistrubuting the OSPF into the RIP and visa versa. It's also advisable to configure the Host OSPF area as a Total Stubby Area if possible but that will require some additional configuration changes on the router.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rudi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: