Views
Helpful
Replies

san/storage design query Netapp + SAN

somerset-cc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a design query that I'm hoping someone can help with

We need to provide the network connectivity to some netapp storage (ethernet based) and:

• 30 X 10gb
  • 50 X 1gb servers.

I have had a lot of issues trying to find cisco 10gb Ethernet switches to match the above requirements. The new sfp+ twinax cabling seems to be

the only thing that is available and this is no good for serve connections.

I have settled on the Nexus 3064 interlinked with its 48 ports of 10gb fibre capacity for the servers that require 10gb and Cisco 3750x series

switches for the 1gb Servers. The 3750 provide the x-stack port channelling too and will provide the layer 3 connectivity also.

Is this a good design and will this work?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

1 Reply 1

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Jonathan See wrote:

I have a design query that I'm hoping someone can help with

We need to provide the network connectivity to some netapp storage (ethernet based) and:

• 30 X 10gb
  • 50 X 1gb servers.

I have had a lot of issues trying to find cisco 10gb Ethernet switches to match the above requirements. The new sfp+ twinax cabling seems to be

the only thing that is available and this is no good for serve connections.

I have settled on the Nexus 3064 interlinked with its 48 ports of 10gb fibre capacity for the servers that require 10gb and Cisco 3750x series

switches for the 1gb Servers. The 3750 provide the x-stack port channelling too and will provide the layer 3 connectivity also.

Is this a good design and will this work?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Sam.

It'll work, but I question why you need the 3750X switches in this at all.

The 3064 has 48 1/10 gig fixed ports giving a total of 96 1 or 10 gig ports (depending on tranciever). You only need 80. You can use the quad SFP ports to link the 3064's at layer 2, giving you up to a 160 gig backbone link between them, and then just connect your servers (be they 1 gig or 10 gig) across the two 3064's, or alternately use two of the quad ports (80 gig) to link the 3064's and use the other 2 to provide 8 extra 10 gig ports per 3064 unit which can be linked to other switches in your network.

The 3064 will also do layer 3 on the 'base" license level (everything except BGP, full OSPF (OSPF limited to 256 routes at base level) and full EIGRP (stub only)), or full layer 3 routing at LAN Enterprise license level.

Unless you perceive a need to expand your 1/10 gig port requirements beyond the 96 fixed ports available across two 3064's, then I can't see a need for the 3750's at all.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: