Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Farm Design Guides

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hey guys,

Can anyone shed any light on the "U Design" server farm building block.

Typically, we have a server farm distribution pair of switches and the server farm access switches connect to both distribution switches in the typical "V design". Now there is the concept of the "U design" where server farm access switch one, does not connect to both switches, but connects to one distribution switch and another access switch and the other access switch in-turn connects to the other server farm distribution switch.

Does anyone have any guidlines to this design? ie, this is only for dual attached servers?

The reason is that I see this box shape design as having a problem, if you were to lose the etherchannel between the server farm access switches. If you lose a switch, this should be OK "IF" you have your VLANs configured correctly,

Please could someone get back to me either saying "what the hell are you on about" or "there are guildines to this design?"

Very kind regards,

Ken

1 Reply 1

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

I can recommend only V-shaped design as it provides great redundancy in case of almost any failures. As you said, if etherchannel fails b/w two access switches, then the Acess-switch-1 and UP to Serverfarmswitch-1 is completely isolated from the other. I believe, even for dual attached servers also, V-shape design suits best.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: