cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sna switching, SDLC to FEP

jmargrison
Level 1
Level 1

will a router connecting to s/390 VTAM with SNA switching through an OSA be able to support an SDLC-attached FEP? Or are only PU2 and PU2.1 supported in this configuration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Under the router configuration, put the MAC address of the OSA under sdlc partner statement.

In the XCA, assign "the VMAC address with the last 2 digits substitute by the SDLC address" be the value of MACADDR.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

romney
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you guessed, SNA Switching services does not support PU type 4.

SNASw can support SDLC attached PU2/2.1 devices through a vdlc interface and dlsw, and will act as DLUR and use VTAM as the DLUS.

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

SNASw is mainly for PU2.1. It also provide connectivity for PU2.0 by DLUR/DLUS.

If the FEP is used as PU 2.1, there is no problem. SNASw supports this.

If the FEP is used as PU4.0, the router can connect the FEP and OSA through DLSw. However, SNASw is not used. The router just translate SDLC into LLC2.

Thanks both of you. The FEP has to be PU4.0. I can use http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/697/fep.html for the sdlc side of things. I understand I need an XCA major node on the mainframe. I am not completely sure how to tie them together.Does the sdlc vmac point to the mac address of the OSA itself?

Under the router configuration, put the MAC address of the OSA under sdlc partner statement.

In the XCA, assign "the VMAC address with the last 2 digits substitute by the SDLC address" be the value of MACADDR.

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to make it work. I had a few problems with canonical vs non-canonical as I'm using an Ethernet OSA. I found I had to bit swap the OSA's Ethernet MAC address in the partner statement, and that the VMAC +sdlc address had to be coded in the VTAM XCA PU as bit-swapped too.

I am trying to connect the following config:

IBM Host A <-OSA-> Ethernet <--> router <-- Serial --> IP Cloud (FR / ??) <--> FEP (with FR support) <--> IBM Host B.

IBM Host A runs CICS App, Terminals connected to the FEP on the IBM Host B side logon to CICS App on IBM Host A.

The person before me designed the connection using FRAS. After a few weeks of trying, I found out it won't work. Based on the scanning throught this forum it seems that I can do this by using dlsw. Since I am new to the network, I need a bit more help on the config on the IBM HOST A (VTAM XCA), bother dlsw router and the FEP on IBM Host B.

At the moment the link is Frame-relay with a single dlci (the same dlci number on both side). Can the IBM Host A with OSA card and the 2 dlsw routers able to utilise the same frame-relay link or we have to get another type of wan link?