Views
Helpful
Replies

static route not failing over to OSA

deanyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two Catalyst 6509 switches that connect to different OSA adapters. The mainframe LPAR's connect to each other via CTC.

The OSA's are there to back each other up and I have static routes to the respective LPAR's as well as backup static routes.

The problem is that when I deactivate the primary OSA the static route with the higher cost does not kick in.

Here is the static route config:

ip route 10.0.150.96 255.255.255.224 10.11.12.7

ip route 10.0.150.96 255.255.255.224 10.11.12.4 100

Any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bmoran
Level 1
Level 1

As long as the interface the destination is on staus up the lower cost route will remain active. Your higher cost route destination is on the same subnet as your lower cost route so any solution that involves looking for the interface to go down won't work. You could setup a /30 subnet on each 6509. Then if all ports assigned to the VLAN (or interface if your are running native) go down the routed interface will go down,the destination will be un reachable, and the secondary route will become active. A better solution may be to use OSPF between the mainframe and 6509's

Here is some info on running OSPF on the mainframe.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns304/c649/cdccont_0900aecd800ea162.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

oerkan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dean,

could you please send " sh ip route " form both switches ? and also the running config of these switches. On which switch port do you connect the OSA interfaces ?

When the primary OSA link is up, can you ping 10.11.12.4 ?

Thanks,

Hakan.

Hi Hakan.

I connected it on the 10/100/1000 Ethernet port

Yes, I can ping the address, and when I disable the primary I can still ping the .4 address, but not the .7 address.

Please see the attachments.

Regards

Dean

To redistribute into EIGRP you have to have either default metric, or metric for each redistribution.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009487e.shtml#igrpneigrp

bmoran
Level 1
Level 1

As long as the interface the destination is on staus up the lower cost route will remain active. Your higher cost route destination is on the same subnet as your lower cost route so any solution that involves looking for the interface to go down won't work. You could setup a /30 subnet on each 6509. Then if all ports assigned to the VLAN (or interface if your are running native) go down the routed interface will go down,the destination will be un reachable, and the secondary route will become active. A better solution may be to use OSPF between the mainframe and 6509's

Here is some info on running OSPF on the mainframe.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns304/c649/cdccont_0900aecd800ea162.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: