Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

UCS add vNIC to server template

Hi all,

I have to add a vNIC to a blade template. However, I heard that doing that will power cycle all blades that are bound to that template. Is that corect? I only have 1 template (for all VMware server blades). This would power cycle the whole farm. Can I add a vNIC to individual servers? even though they are bound to a template.

Rgards

Igs

• Server Networking
1 REPLY
VIP Red

There are 2 types of

There are 2 types of templates: initial and updating. If you create Service Profiles from a initial template, SP and template are not connected; eg. making changes to template, will not update the SP's. This is different for updating template, where changes to template will update all derived SP's.

Adding or removing vnic's from a VIC I/O adaptor is disruptive, and requires a reboot of the blade. (adding / removing Vlan's is not disruptive, however).

In any case, you should implement a "maintenance policy", adding it to all SP's,  and set it to ACK; in case of a change which requires a reboot, you get a pending activity, where you have to ACK every server that has to be rebooted.

Hope that helps

Walter.

Views
Helpful
Replies