Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Using GLC-T in FEX 2232PP - Speed and Duplex

First time using GLC-T's in a FEX 2232PP off of 5548 running 5.0(3)N1(1b).  Was getting "sfpInvalid" on show int status.  Nice engineer explained I had to remove the GLC-T's, configure the interface E101/1/1 to speed 1000 in order for the 5548/FEX to recognize the GLC-T. 

That worked, but also led to the recommendation that I hard-code the server NICs to 1000/full rather than auto/auto - their present NIC setting.  Not opposed to doing that, except that I am transitioning servers from a temporary 3560G in that same rack to FEX.  Since they're all auto/auto (the 3560G ports are as well), I will need change management to reconfigure NICs on each. 

I'm an advocate of making sure NIC and switch port match exactly, but have used AUTO/AUTO on switch and server NIC in recent years w/out problems. 

Anyone know if there's a way to have GLC-T's recognized by the FEX 2233PP, but still have AUTO/AUTO?

It will help me w/my migration. 

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Barry,

You should be able to still auto detect settings. If you do notice a problem with one or two servers, hard coding each side will be a fix.

Carlo

Just to clarify Carlo, you're saying that I use speed 1000 on the FEX port configuration, so that it recognizes the GLC-T?  And I can leave duplex (or set it) to auto on the FEX, and then the server NIC settings can stay at AUTO/AUTO?

Yesterday, I did add the speed 1000 command to the FEX ports, left the FEX port duplex to whatever the default is, and configured a laptop w/a 1 Gig NIC to be AUTO/AUTO.  Connected and did a large FTP (2Gig).  It transfered very fast - comparable to baseline - and there were no errors on the FEX port counters. 

So, I was thinking it would be ok to leave the servers at AUTO/AUTO, even though the FEX port speed was 1000.

Cisco Employee

That is correct. 'Speed 1000' needs to be configured to allow for a 1G transciever. The servers will still be able to auto negotiate.

Regards,

Carlo

Thanks alot, Carlo!  This helps tremendously.

Best regards,

-Barry

Views
Helpful
Replies