Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

vDS vs Nexus 1000v

Hi everyone

i implementing a new virtual infrastructure for a company and its getting bigger and bigger. my question is which one should i choose for my environment , vDS or n1kv?

1- which one is less depended to vcenter, if my vcenter died suddenly my network just blow up?

2- which one is reliable and easy to manage?

3- which one give my environment most features with less cost.

4- what about supporting of this two

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi,I agree with you that N1Kv

Hi,

I agree with you that N1Kv is easy to manage and use.

Both have there own way of undrestanding its all depends which one we are good with.

HTH

Inayath

*********Please rate all usefull thread and mark the thread as answered if no more help required on this plz.*********

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

1- which one is less depended

1- which one is less depended to vcenter, if my vcenter died suddenly my network just blow up?

Answer; N1kv has more features than vDs. but again think of the license. 

If vcenter died nothing would happen you will just loose the managebility of the device through it were in all other things would be working fine.

2- which one is reliable and easy to manage?

Both are okay.

3- which one give my environment most features with less cost.

Cost again it depends more features high cost.

4- what about supporting of this two

yes it supports both.

Thanks for your replying

Thanks for your replying insharie

but with vmware vDS when the vcenter goes down, switching network stops responding,

i finally implement N1kv in my environment and using basic, free version. i just shut down vCenter to see what happened if it goes down and no interrupting , Nexus 1000v is great Product,

Thanks

Cisco Employee

hmm...i didnt test the vds

hmm...

i didnt test the vds yet. anyways thanks for the update.

VIP Green

my 2cServer folks prefer

my 2c

Server folks prefer VMware DVS, which is (was) much easier to install and configure than N1k; network folks perfer N1k for obvious reasons; with the newer versions it got much easier with the installer to do the installation (L3 as the default made troubleshooting easier).

thanks wdeyin my experience ,

thanks wdey

in my experience , N1KV is very simple and easy to use, and more stable, and in perspective of networking , its better network team manage networking than virtual environment team, 

Cisco Employee

Hi,I agree with you that N1Kv

Hi,

I agree with you that N1Kv is easy to manage and use.

Both have there own way of undrestanding its all depends which one we are good with.

HTH

Inayath

*********Please rate all usefull thread and mark the thread as answered if no more help required on this plz.*********

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content