cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS using Pagp+ Dual Active Detection

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

I am going to use VSS with a C3750 'Access' switch running 12.2(46)SE that supports Pagp+ for dual active detection. Regarding this topology, i have some questions:

1) Does my Etherchannel towards the C3750 stack need to be a Pagp Etherchannel ? Or can it be a fixed Etherchannel (mode on) ?

2) If the Etherchannel needs to be a Pagp Etherchannel before VSS can use the Pagp+ packets, does this imply that i can't use a cross-stack Etherchannel on the C3750, because cross-stack etherchannel did not support Pagp before ? Is it supported on 12.2(46)SE ?

6 Replies 6

jevogler
Level 1
Level 1

If you intend to use stackwise, you will need to use LACP.

I would leave one 3750 "unstacked" and use enhanced pagp for dual active detection. This will reduce dual active detection times dramatically at the cost of managing an extra device.

Note... An upcoming software release will introduce a new method for detection, -so this will only be a short term fix. When you migrate to the new code you can restack the enhanced pagp 3750 and add it to your lacp bundle.

Hi,

i checked the new SXI release with L2 fast-hello's. Work perfect and much better than BFD.

gnijs,

You mentioned L2 fast-hello's, can you provide some configuration samples?

It is -very- easy to configure.

Just connect two interfaces back-to-back together, of course, following a different path as your VSL links, then:

interface GigabitEthernet2/4/14

no switchport

no ip address

dual-active fast-hello

end

interface GigabitEthernet1/4/14

no switchport

no ip address

dual-active fast-hello

end

And that's all.

VSS_SWITCH#sh switch virtual dual-active fast-hello

Fast-hello dual-active detection enabled: Yes

Fast-hello dual-active interfaces:

Port Local State Peer Port Remote State

---------------------------------------------------

Gi1/4/14 Link up Gi2/4/14 Link up

Hi All,

Planning to implement VSS in my network just waiting for delivery of 6509-E with VSS boxex. but i don't know anything about the vss.

can somebody give me cisco URL where i can understand concept of VSS and sample configuration.

Thanks and Regards,

Jerry

Use a Cisco /go/ URL

http://www.cisco.com/go/vss

by the way there's lots more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: