cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Warm Site BGP Setup

plexus
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario: We have our main site with 2 ISP connections, our own /24 external subnet and AS number. We are running BGP on the router connecting us to the ISP's. We are looking to bring up a "warm" site for our DR Plans. What is the best choice for setting this up? We are considering either having the backup site use the same subnet as the primary with route suppression or we can use our /28 subnet (new for hotsite link) and use a DNS redirection approach. Any suggestions?

1 Reply 1

steven-dunn
Level 1
Level 1

I'll keep this short because there are many more factors involved in business recovery...

If you make the site an identical copy of production and suppress the routes or advertise them to your ISP with a less favourable AS path, managing and monitoring them remotely will be painful.

I imagine over time you will want to store backups there and copy configs and make copies of production changes in your warm environment, general maintenance. If you have an identical IP scheme, you need to start NAT or some other mascerading process. Most applications don't like this such as SNMP.

My personal view is DR must be hot to be effective which means you will eventually need to apply unique IP's and use the DNS flip.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: