Cisco Support Community
Community Member

What constitutes an IBM feature that is process switched?

In much of the Cisco buffer alloc docs, there are references to IBM features being process switched. What constitutes an IBM feature? DLSw? APPN? SNASw? CSNA? SDLC? QLLC? DLSw encapsulated in frame relay? DLSw that is neither in the originating or destination router (i.e. an interum router simply passing the DLSw port 2065 packet)? I need to know because I need to tune some buffers and some of the routers are pass-thru routers for the other above mentioned protocols - as well as the routers that originate those protocols.

Re: What constitutes an IBM feature that is process switched?

You pretty much have the complete list. You miss SRB, STUN, BSTUN, RSRB, SDLLC, FRAS, NCIA, and ALPS. For the complete IBM feature set, please go to the following URL:

Interim router does not process switch packets generated by IBM feature set. (i.e. only routers run IBM feature set MAY process switch packets). In general, the router process switch the packet if TCP encapsulation is used. (i.e. DLSw, STUN, BSTUN, RSRB, SDLLC, and ALPS will be process switched if TCP encapsulation is used)

CSNA, TN3270, CLAW, and OFFLOAD are handled by CIP/CPA. The RSP/NPE may process switch or fast switch packets for CSNA, TN3270, CLAW, and OFFLOAD. If you do not disable all IP caches, TN3270, CLAW, and OFFLOAD packets are not process switched.

CIP/CPA sends CSNA packets to RSP/NEP. RSP/NPE then send the packets to SRB, DLSw, RSRB, and so on. RPS/NPE switches the packets based on the process handling the packets.

CreatePlease to create content