Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IPS-4260 appropriate for learning CCNA-Security

I'm sorry that today's meeting was canceled. I really looked forward to meeting people in this community.

Background:

I am building a homelab for Cisco R&S core, plus Voice, Wireless, and Security.

I've taken the 1st level Academy courses and am quite interested in taking more, but my college has a hard time keeping enrollment up--thus, canceling even CCNP-ROUTE every semester.

So, I'm self-teaching as much as I can, but I don't have deep pockets, so I have to get gear on the used market.

Questions:

Q1: Would these items still be useful for CCNA-CCNP-CCIE-level Security, and at what level of hardware and software:

IPS-4260

ASA5510

Q2: Since I don't have a Service Contract, how does a student go about applying for one? (without looking like a total dunce)

Q3: Is the Service Contract the only way to install software on an IPS box?

Q4: If my newly-arrived IPS-4260 box says "No OS installed", what do I have to do to get an OS installed on this box? Is there a BIOS to install, an an IOS image in addition to the IPS software, or is the IPS the "IOS"?

(Yes, I knew in advanced that this used item did not have everything complete, but I wanted to try to resucitate the unit because I would learn a lot in the process.)

Q5: Do I still need a "Key" or a "license key" to run the IPS-4260, or is that part of the remote-control software?

Thanks for your help (in advance) !

__Will

Everyone's tags (4)
Views
Helpful
Replies