cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Configuring Cisco 1921 Router - Can't reach external ip addresses, websites, etc

gballas01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So I'm figuring another Cisco 1921 Router (and have done a couple of these before) and have put together my "test" config (see below),  based on my other working configurations and notes.

Now when connected to the Router (via Teraterm), I can ping pretty much anything I want! Both interfaces, my gateway, google, laptop connect to router, so basically anything inside or outside of the Router.....but On my Laptop, connected to the 1921, I can reach (ping) anything on the inside,  Gi 0/0 and the actual Gi 0/1 side.....BUT nothing external like the GW address or beyond to the net. I once had a similar problem once before and I think just adding the route to the GW cleared things up. But not this time, perhaps someone with a fresh set of eyes can see my problem??

Thanks in Advance!

so My "outside" addressing is x.yy.zzz.149 where the GW is at x.yy.zzz.190

and "inside" I testing with 10.10.10.1 and using DHCP to assign device IP (which is working)

here's my current config (with some sensitive items removed, thx)

!
version 15.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
!
no aaa new-model
!

!
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1 10.10.10.5
!
ip dhcp pool poolz
 import all
 network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
 default-router 10.10.10.1
 dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
 lease 0 2
!

!
ip domain name yourdomain.com
ip name-server 8.8.8.8
ip name-server 8.8.4.4
ip cef
no ipv6 cef
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
cts logging verbose
!
<crypto stuff deleted here......>

redundancy
!
!
interface Embedded-Service-Engine0/0
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description $INSIDE
 ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
 ip virtual-reassembly in
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 no mop enabled
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 description $outside
 ip address x.yy.zzz.149 255.255.255.192
 ip virtual-reassembly in
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
ip forward-protocol nd
!
ip http server
ip http authentication local
ip http secure-server
ip http timeout-policy idle 60 life 86400 requests 10000
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.yy.zzz.190
!
access-list 199 permit ip any any
!
control-plane
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line 2
 no activation-character
 no exec
 transport preferred none
 transport output pad telnet rlogin lapb-ta mop udptn v120 ssh
 stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
 login
 transport input none
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

There is NAT configuration missing.
On interface gi0/1 type command ip nat outside

On interface gi0/0 type command ip nat inside

in configuration mode type command:
ip nat inside source list 199 interface gi0/1 overload

It should work then

View solution in original post

If you have other routers running without NAT then either other device performs NAT or you use public addresses.

If you are using private addresses then some device must perform NAT. Otherwise communication to internet will not work.

And yes, NAT affect performance, but it is only one way how to connect end device with private address to internet.
If you don´t want to use NAT then you need to use either public addresses or IPv6.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

There is NAT configuration missing.
On interface gi0/1 type command ip nat outside

On interface gi0/0 type command ip nat inside

in configuration mode type command:
ip nat inside source list 199 interface gi0/1 overload

It should work then

Success! Great Thank You. That did the trick, but while were on the topic.....

About an year ago I had a similar problem (pretty sure), with basic same setup (router etc) for another installation (but was still setup and tested on my bench)

....and back then I was told to take out (remove) these very same calls you suggested I include and that solved my problem then.....adding them solved my problem this time.

Do you have any thoughts as to why that is??  What are the rules here, and why I have at least 2 similar locations running without these, yet this time I needed the "NAT" items for it work. I've done some basic research and get the principle (and have also been told NAT & overload calls can effect performance)...so do you have any tips on this??

And Thanks so much for your help!. I don't think I would have added those commands back without you suggestion...gb

If you have other routers running without NAT then either other device performs NAT or you use public addresses.

If you are using private addresses then some device must perform NAT. Otherwise communication to internet will not work.

And yes, NAT affect performance, but it is only one way how to connect end device with private address to internet.
If you don´t want to use NAT then you need to use either public addresses or IPv6.

I was thinking more about this afterwards, and yes that makes perfect sense now. When I had first setup my other units (last year) I had the NAT calls in there to make things work (on the bench). But once I moved into production at client site, they worked locally but I couldn't access them remotely (using they public ip's on the cable fiber)....so I had to take all the NAT items out and them was working fine. Thanks again...as they say....sometimes "you can't see the forest through the trees!"

you´re welcome

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card