Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Backing up the file system on NSS4000

Is there any way to backup the file system on NSS4000 to a usb hard drive. What other options do I have.

thank you

PeterW

Everyone's tags (3)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Peter,

First i would like to ask what are you trying to backup? The actual data or file system settings.

If you're referring to backing up actual data then under SHARES-->Backup we can run backup image to the local shares or we can export the backup to a remote CIFS filer

Now if you are talking about System setting then under Admin-->Configuration just click save to your local computer.

Again if you're needing your data backup to use a usb drive, you would have to plug the usb into your computer and pull the already ran backup image from the local NAS or remote CIFS Filer.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Silver

Peter,

The best possible way with these units (Since EOL) is to copy data from this unit to another unit/storage device. The backup option within box saves a data image in a format that only can be reloaded back onto different unit if failure occurs. Since it will be hard to find the hardware on these guys i would recommend just coping the data over to another storage device or drive connected to your computer.

EOL

Jasbryan

4 REPLIES
Silver

Peter,

First i would like to ask what are you trying to backup? The actual data or file system settings.

If you're referring to backing up actual data then under SHARES-->Backup we can run backup image to the local shares or we can export the backup to a remote CIFS filer

Now if you are talking about System setting then under Admin-->Configuration just click save to your local computer.

Again if you're needing your data backup to use a usb drive, you would have to plug the usb into your computer and pull the already ran backup image from the local NAS or remote CIFS Filer.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

thank you very much for your advice and help

I was wanting to backup/safeguard the data that resides on the nas in case of a multiple disk loss or config loss which would cause me to reinitialize the Raid5 config. which does happen occasionally with this unit.

I have been able to backup the config to a usb thumb drive.

I was hoping to attach an external usb drive to the nas and backup the data to it in the same way you can backup config to usb thumb drive. Unfortunately not that easy.

I can't see a way to save directly to a local computer. Ok I can map a drive to a NAS share and copy data this way but

1. how do you export the backup image to a remote cifs
  2. I can only have 1 remote cifs?

I am new to this.

I inherited this NAS and the raid system was broken and a drive had failed. It has 4 x 750Gb drives.

So I should start at the beginning.

I have recreated the drive array to Raid5 and three volumes:

1. Backup = 50Gb
  2. Config_files = 32Mb
  3. NAS_Storage = 2Tb

I am guessing my backup volume will not have enough space to hold my backup img as NAS_storage gets larger. by how much does the data get compressed to the image file?

What would you see as a good recommended setup?

thank you

PeterW

Silver

Peter,

The best possible way with these units (Since EOL) is to copy data from this unit to another unit/storage device. The backup option within box saves a data image in a format that only can be reloaded back onto different unit if failure occurs. Since it will be hard to find the hardware on these guys i would recommend just coping the data over to another storage device or drive connected to your computer.

EOL

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

good point and I will take your advice.

thanks for the link.

regards

PeterW

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content