Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to configure NTFS file system on an NSS 324 SmartStorage unit. So far I can setup ext 3 or ext 4 but no option for NTFS

Is there a way to configure NTFS file system on an NSS 324 SmartStorage unit. So far I can setup ext 3 or ext 4 but no option for NTFS. This unit should be joining a Windows Server 2008 R2 network and needs to be shared with all users. This unit will replace a File server running Win 2003 SP2.

Message was edited by: Hermann Koster Thank you very much for your reply. The idea is to decommission the Windows file server which is running Windows Server 2003 SP2 operating system but is not running as a DC but just a member server. All this server is doing is providing file server services so my idea is to replace it with the NSS 324 box. My only concern is that when my NSS joins the domain all my users would be able to see and access network shares transparently, the same way they saw the former W2003 file server. After I transferred the data from File server I will use the same for NSS that was used for file server as well as same IP address and folders path as before. Any suggestions or advice? Once again thank you very much for your reply. Cheers,

1 REPLY

Is there a way to configure NTFS file system on an NSS 324 Smart

The internal HDDs must be formatted in either EXT3 or EXT4 file system because NSS uses Linux OS.  This is mainly because the RAM designed to fit with the customized Linux OS's size.

You can connect to an external HDD via a  USB or eSATA port. The external HDD's file system can be NTFS, FAT32, AFT or EXT3/4 to be recognized for read/write. You can connect a 2TB USB/eSATA drive connec to the NSS via USB port to format your HDD for NTFS, AFT, FAT32, or EXT3/4 partition.

You can join the NSS to a Windows domainr so all domain users to access NSS. You cannot replace the NSS for the Windows 2003 SP2 server. They are two different products and do different jobs. Windows server is features sets server while the NSS is the files/data server.

Hope that helps!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content