Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

NSS 324 Smart Storage Expand Capacity Problem

Greetings from Mexico,

I work for a VFX company here in Mexico city, and we have been working with a 8TB NSS 324 Smart Storage NAS for some 6 months without any problem until now.

Basically it seems that the 4rth drive crashed, so our HDD wen from 8TB to 5496.93 GB , this on RAID 5, so yeah we still have our info, still, the HDD managment noticed there was something wrong with the drive and I ran a recovery, took forever but when done it still had the 5.4TB , so I did the Rebuilding as it its explained and when I try to do the Expand Capacity action its greyed out, is my 4th drive dead?, we are trying to get a spare drive for the NAS just in case theres no non physical solution, but is there something im missing?, thank you so much in advance.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Miguel,

What you are obsering is correct. For the total capacity of 4x2TB= 8TB and configured for RAID5, this should give the unit the total size array of 75% and the usable disk space approximately of 5.5 TB. By standard, at least 25% of the physical disk space available for RAID5 will be reserved for protection in the event of a disk failure. In your case, you have a bad partitions on disk 4th or I would say this is bad disk/failure disk. Because you configured for RAID5, your system is still running and you need to replace a disk with bad partition. Bad partition can be fixed via tool provided by disk manufacturer.

I am recommend you to replace disk 4th with a new disk. It is a simple process by take out 4th disk and insert in a new disk. System will automatically sync to RAID5 without interupting to your operation. The replacement is very important to prevent another disk failure and keep system running. If you have another disk failure (1 of the 3 currently working in degraded RAID5), your data on RAID5 will be lost.

Regards,

-Clint

5 REPLIES

Hi Miguel,

What you are obsering is correct. For the total capacity of 4x2TB= 8TB and configured for RAID5, this should give the unit the total size array of 75% and the usable disk space approximately of 5.5 TB. By standard, at least 25% of the physical disk space available for RAID5 will be reserved for protection in the event of a disk failure. In your case, you have a bad partitions on disk 4th or I would say this is bad disk/failure disk. Because you configured for RAID5, your system is still running and you need to replace a disk with bad partition. Bad partition can be fixed via tool provided by disk manufacturer.

I am recommend you to replace disk 4th with a new disk. It is a simple process by take out 4th disk and insert in a new disk. System will automatically sync to RAID5 without interupting to your operation. The replacement is very important to prevent another disk failure and keep system running. If you have another disk failure (1 of the 3 currently working in degraded RAID5), your data on RAID5 will be lost.

Regards,

-Clint

Dear Clint,

Thank you so much for your prompt answer, I understand what you say and thats why i already asked for the extra HDD, we are planning on integrating the new one as we might check the damaged one for structural problems, my only other question would be if the new hard drive has to be exactly same capacity, model, brand, etc?

Again thank you for your time.

Mike

Miguel,

It needs to have the same size (2TB). There is no need to have the same manufacturer's drive installed but preferred to have same model and brand. This is only for purpose of help trouble shoot if there is a problem with RAID because each brand drive contains firmware which designed differently. My recommendation is to (1) get the identical drive, if cannot find the same model, (2) please refer to AVL document for another alternative model on same capacity.

Regards,

-Clint

Clint,

This was a flawless post, thank you so much for your help.

Mike

Hung Doan wrote:

Hi Miguel,

Regards,

-Clint

yes

yes

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content