Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

NSS 324 smart storage making same H drive to work inside and outside domain

I have a share on my server 2003 ent edition which I map for users via AD by right clicking the user, properties, in the profile tab as 'H' drive:

\\server\homes\grade3\%username%

\\server\homes\grade4\%username%

\\server\homes\grade5\%username%

When the user logs on to one of the systems their H drives with their usernnames is mapped for them to work on.  Also users from grade3 cannot see work of anyother grades and vice versa.  They can only work in their own H drives which have their names on the computer as 'H:\\server\homes\grade3\Jmike'    ,   'H:\\server\homes\grade4\Kmoore'

I would like to make a share on NSS 324 with the same concept.  One person working in its own area space allocated and he/she cannot see other work spaces/areas of other students.  Is it possible?  How ? How and where to assign permissions etc to make it happen.  If its not possible any other suggestion is highly appreciated.

Note: What I would like to acheive is a user working while on our domain should be able to work on H drive as mapped in windows and when they go home they should be able to access the same H drive via web browsers but should only see their respective folders.

Help

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Re: NSS 324 smart storage making same H drive to work inside and

You will not be able to do this in a manner that automatically creates the folders and provide each user a secure folder because the appliance does not support "owner/creator" attribute. On a Windows server you create a home share and then assign all users owner/creator and no other settings. Then with a traversal security setting you can make it so each folder is created so that the user will be the owner.

The only way to make this work would be to give all users access to the home directory folder. I know this wouldnt work for you but I wanted you to know I understand what you are wanting to do. Hopefully Cisco plans on further developing this product. It is still a great no frills NAS device but its not a Windows killer yet. We are deploying them regardless for branch offices and small business clients.

2 REPLIES
Community Member

You will not be able to do this in a manner that automatically creates the folders and provide each user a secure folder because the appliance does not support "owner/creator" attribute. On a Windows server you create a home share and then assign all users owner/creator and no other settings. Then with a traversal security setting you can make it so each folder is created so that the user will be the owner.

The only way to make this work would be to give all users access to the home directory folder. I know this wouldnt work for you but I wanted you to know I understand what you are wanting to do. Hopefully Cisco plans on further developing this product. It is still a great no frills NAS device but its not a Windows killer yet. We are deploying them regardless for branch offices and small business clients.

Community Member

Thanks Matthew,

Your answer has clearified my search.  I was wasting alot of time to make it work.  Anyhow I will start using other features till the time Cisco comes with any firmware to come to the level of windows security.

Regards.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content