Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSS 326 disk replace failed

Hi

I have replaced the faulty disk in RAID6 with a new one on NSS 326, but NSS does not accept it with the error:

[RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Add drive 1 to the volume failed.

Under the "RAID Managment" it says I should insert a disk the same or bigger size that faulty one was.

All hard disk are the same vendor,model,type and size (also the replacement disk is the same):

WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B01.0

Does anyone have any clue what should I do?

Thank you in advance

Herbert Knavs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This issue is more likely on the disk that just inserted. If it is a new disk, it should rebuild the RAID6 to a healthy state.  Things that lead to this issue from the disk are (1) disk was already contain the the file system such as NTFS with many partitions or (2) Disk contain bad sector(s).

Since you already installed the new disk, this should be working.  If it is not working, it means the script that should be initiated for resynchronization is not re-start. The good thing is that RAID6 can handle another failed disk without any issue so to solve this issue, when you have a chance (without affecting the services), you can restart the NSS (leave the new disk in slot 1).  By restart NSS, the process will checked each drive and re-synchronize the RAID6 accordingly.

Regards,

-Clint

7 REPLIES

Hi,

This issue is more likely on the disk that just inserted. If it is a new disk, it should rebuild the RAID6 to a healthy state.  Things that lead to this issue from the disk are (1) disk was already contain the the file system such as NTFS with many partitions or (2) Disk contain bad sector(s).

Since you already installed the new disk, this should be working.  If it is not working, it means the script that should be initiated for resynchronization is not re-start. The good thing is that RAID6 can handle another failed disk without any issue so to solve this issue, when you have a chance (without affecting the services), you can restart the NSS (leave the new disk in slot 1).  By restart NSS, the process will checked each drive and re-synchronize the RAID6 accordingly.

Regards,

-Clint

Re: NSS 326 disk replace failed

Thank you, you are right.

I have inserted the 3rd replacement disk into bay 1 and NSS accepted it starting a rebuild of RAID6 1 2 3 4 5 6.

It look like I have got two disks for replacements that were already in use somehow .

What sould I do with them?

"Low-lewel" format?

Are there any tools you would suggest?

When rebuild started, another strange thing happened... I will copy paste from log here:

1. Drive 1 plugged in.

2. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Drive 1 added into the volume.

3. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Start rebuilding.

4. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Rebuilding skipped.

Why skipped???

5. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Start rebuilding.

But in the "Raid Management" view was: 1 2 4 5 6 (disk number 3 somehow is missing)

6. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Rebuilding completed.

Now "Raid Managment" view says something like: 1 2 4 5 6 In degraded mode... and number 3 is also missing here???

So I have rebooted the NSS without touching disk in bay .

7. System started.

8. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Drive 3 added into the volume

9. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Start rebuilding.

This is very dangerous situation, rebuilding disk 1 and in the mean time lost disk 3 (by my opinion bug).

I am working with empty disks, because all data was moved before any operations to another disk-array.

But if I had data on, loosing another disk without any reason in between rebuilding process is not cool.

NSS 326 firmware on version 1.5.0.3

Rebuild is now in progress, info will follow...

Rebuild is completed and now everything looks fine.

If anyone has answers to my previous post I will be really gratefull.

Thank you in advance

Bert

Hi Herbert,

I am glad your unit now is fully operational and the unit had the healthy RAID6 array.  To answer your questions and share some of the informatioin I knew, I am doing my best with my knowlege of the NSS:

When rebuild started, another strange thing happened... I will copy paste from log here:

1. Drive 1 plugged in.

2. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Drive 1 added into the volume.

3. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Start rebuilding.

4. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Rebuilding skipped.

Why skipped???   [ Clint's comment: During the rebuild process, disk #3 could not be in sync with other disks and after many attempted to sync data in the array, the process/script timed out and killed the rebuild array process because disk#3 may contains some bad blocks. System log displayed "Rebuilding skipped". The log, as you can see it always displayed 6 disks [1 2 3 4 5 6]. This is just for user to understand that RAID6 with 6 disks but it does not reflect the true status of the array.]

5. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Start rebuilding.

But in the "Raid Management" view was: 1 2 4 5 6 (disk number 3 somehow is missing)

[Clint's comment: The GUI displayed the true status of the RAID array, as you know disk#3 is failed out from the RAID6 array.]

6. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Rebuilding completed.

Now "Raid Managment" view says something like: 1 2 4 5 6 In degraded mode... and number 3 is also missing here???

[Clint's comment: System continue the process of resync without disk #3 and after it completed. It would gave user in degraded mode because disk#3 is not in the array.]

So I have rebooted the NSS without touching disk in bay .

7. System started.

8. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Drive 3 added into the volume

9. [RAID6 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 4 5 6] Start rebuilding.

[Clint's comment: by reboot the system. There is a process of checking each disk during boot up to verify each disk is physically healthy (no bad blocks, if it is, fix it before boot to Linux OS and execute codes to bring NSS to operational).  The system did know the status of each disk and in your case, because disk #3 was not in the array. System checked and verified to correct some bad blocks that was out of sync in the array.  After fixed some bad blocks, it automatically add that disk to the array and required resynchronize to make sure all disks are in the RAID6 array, this is why you were seeing "Start rebuilding" after the reboot. And because the correction was made in disk #3, you had the successful rebuild RAID6 array.]

Hope that helps!

Regards,

-Clint

Clindoan, many thanx.

Do you have maybe answers to this questions:

It look like I have got two disks for replacements that were already in use somehow .

What sould I do with them to force NSS to accept them?

"Low-lewel" format?

Are there any tools you would suggest?

Thank you in advance

Silver

Herbert,

Yes do a low-level format on the disks in question. Usually the manufacture of the disks will have tools to accomplish task needed.

Jasbryan

Add in what Jason recommended.  Another way is attached the drive to the SATA port in a PC (WIndows OS) and go to "Computer Management=> Disk Management" in the Control Pannel to delete the partition(s).  Or if you have a external enclosure and connect via USB port---this will worked as well. You don't need to format the drive if it is being use for NSS.  If you are planning to use for Windows PC, you can format it to NTFS.

I think this is a quick way to do low level partition or format.

Regards,

-Clint

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content