Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

NSS4000 RAID rebuild time

Yesterday I setup our new NSS4000 - I updated the firmware to 1.16-3 (Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:12:52 +0000) - I created a RAID 5 array with four Western Digital WD15EADS 1.5TB drives - after the array completed one of the drives was marked as failed - I removed and reinserted it and added it back to the array and it failed again a few min later - I replaced the drive and added the new drive to the array. This was 14:10 yesterday and the rebuild is only at 55% over 24 hours later. I don't see the WD15EADS drive on the approved list specifically but the WDS10 and WDS20 are both on there.

Is this a normal rebuild time for 1.5TB drives? I am going to delete the array and recreate it since there isn't any data on the system yet but I would like to know if there is a problem with these drives in the NSS4000 before I put it into production.

Thanks,

Tom

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: NSS4000 RAID rebuild time

I have seen this behavior a couple of times (actually twice) on TB drives and creating a RAID 5. I don't think the RAID level matters much, just the fact that we are addressing a lot of space. One word of caution, drives that are not on the approved drive list should really be avoided. That was not a sales plug, or preaching Cisco literature. Granted drives that are not on the list will work and will spin and all that fun stuff, but most of the RAID failures I see are using non-approved drives. Another thing to keep in mind; is that the NSS devices can only be configured for up to 4TB. That is not to say you can not add a larger RAID. You can install 4, 2TB drives, but it does not mean you can safely create a 6TB RAID5 structure.

My guess would be that one drive is not liking or just not playing nice with the NSS and is having a hard time being accessed and addressed. Now add the fact that we are over our 4TB limit, not really surprised it is taking a long time.

My personal rule of thunb; I always create RAIDs with same drives, models and size and never mix manufacturers. That is me talking no one else, its just what I have learned over the years via bad experiences.

Hope that helps.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

I have seen this behavior a couple of times (actually twice) on TB drives and creating a RAID 5. I don't think the RAID level matters much, just the fact that we are addressing a lot of space. One word of caution, drives that are not on the approved drive list should really be avoided. That was not a sales plug, or preaching Cisco literature. Granted drives that are not on the list will work and will spin and all that fun stuff, but most of the RAID failures I see are using non-approved drives. Another thing to keep in mind; is that the NSS devices can only be configured for up to 4TB. That is not to say you can not add a larger RAID. You can install 4, 2TB drives, but it does not mean you can safely create a 6TB RAID5 structure.

My guess would be that one drive is not liking or just not playing nice with the NSS and is having a hard time being accessed and addressed. Now add the fact that we are over our 4TB limit, not really surprised it is taking a long time.

My personal rule of thunb; I always create RAIDs with same drives, models and size and never mix manufacturers. That is me talking no one else, its just what I have learned over the years via bad experiences.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply - I deleted the array - removed the drives and swapped them out with four WD20EADS drives that are on the approved list. Powered the box on with the drives already in. (that's one thing I didn't try last time since the NSS detected the drive when I inserted it with power on) It is in the process of creating the new array now and we'll see what happens. From the last few small business product partner meetings the NSS4000 and 6000 claim to support up to 8TB now. The GUI cliams I will have a 5.45TB array when it is done.

Will keep updated.

Thanks,

Tom

Well even with the WD20EADS drives that are on the approved list the rebuild is still slow - created the array yesterday - one of the drives failed during the creation (not the same slot as the 1.5TB drive that failed) added it back to the array and the rebuild started over 14 hours ago and the rebuild is only at 50%.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I use the NSS4100 with the built in 250G drives, effective RAID5 of about 720GB available.

When i have had to re-create the RAID5 on my little machine, i had to let it run overnight (12hrs). I'm guessing this may take a while to create your RAID5 array. Setting up the volume and Shares will only take you a few minutes, but that initial setup of RAID5 just takes a while.

regards Dave

Hi all,

Don't trust the NSS4000 unit, it's not a professional device at all, and your data are definetely not secure on it.

RAID5 is not working properly, firmware is more a beta than a real firmware, and cisco support is useless on this kind of device.

In case of problems their only solution is always "delete the array, recreate one and restore from backup".

That's the 3rd time that we lost our 6Tb data due to problems with this device. We'll replace it with another brand with correct support and just throw this one away. It's useless.

Regards.

Bertrand.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content