Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSS4100 RAID DOES NOT START Please check that all components are present

Hi, The NSS4100 storage system failed to start the raid10.

The message is:

--

Failed to start RAID
Please check that all components are present

--

All the disks are present as you can see in the attached image.The system has been restarted twice. Is there a possibility to start again the raid without losing data?

Thank you,Dan

Everyone's tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: NSS4100 RAID DOES NOT START Please check that all components

There are number of way that you can configure for RAID Array (JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID5+Spare, and RAID10). I read from your posted, the system configured for RAID10. RAID10 is operated as a pair for data mirror.

Here is some RAID Array infor:

1) JBOD (No data protection, when your disk is bad. You lost all the data). The concept of read/write date is similarly to PC. Fast at first but the more data you have on the disk, it will eventually slow down.)

2) RAID0 (No data protection, however, write data to disk is better in performance. A disk is dead, then data are lost)

3) RAID1 (Data protection. A disk is dead. The other still operating and performance is degrading.)

4) RAID1+Spare (Similarly to RAID1, just auto-rebuild for RAID1 when a disk is failed)

5) RAID5: (Data protection. Minimum of 3 disks. Allowed one disk fails)

6) RAID5+Spare: (Data protection. Required 4 disks. Auto rebuild when a disk failed)

7) RAID10: (Data protection. Working in pair with disk in slot 1/2 is first pair and disks in slot 3/4 is second pair). This is important because disks in slot 1/2 can not be put into slot 3/4 if it already had the RAID10 information. The error I see from the GUI is look like the disk may have been moved or swapped around un-intentional.

Hi Dan-  Sorry for taking too long. I was busy with other project. Anyway, here is my answer to your problem:

Case # 1: If the disk is placed in the original when the RAID array was configured. Then a reboot and/or restore the saved configuration to the NSS will fixed the problem since the setting configuration will read the information from the disk to re-synchronize the RAID array.

Case # 2: There is a console access to internal hardware to get to Linux level (currently, we are not supporting to linux level).  Under Linux command, user can run a sinple command to re-synchronized the RAID array.

I would recommend to call Cisco technical support and talk to them to see if there is anyway a SE can visit your office to help you out. Sorry for the problem that you have, I hope I could help you more but this issue needs to have someone physically there to help you out. I understand the data is very important to you so please call technical support.

I hate to say you have to do again from scratch, this means lost the data (no body like this).

Good lucks.

11 REPLIES

Was the disk have been out of slot after the RAID10 was done ? If they are, the message is indicated with failed to started RAID10. Anyway,

RAID10 on NSS4K/6K operated in pair. Pair 1 for disks in slot 1/2 and pair 2 for slot 3/4.  After the RAID10 are configured, NSS needs to recognized the pair in order for system to operate. I raised this question because I think the disk have been out of the pair.

To fix this problem, you need to get the pair in order and reboot the machine.  If drive does not contain any data, another option is to do from scratch which means you need to delete out the RAID information, reboot machine and restart the RAID10 (make sure to label the disk in pair).

Hope it helps.

Silver

Yeah, I would definately try and reinsert the drives back in and try rebuilding the raid again.  What drives are you using?

Hi!

I did reinserted all the disk back and reboot. I have got the same error message!

The disk are the original ones from

WDC WD2500YS-01S

Merci,

Dan

You are right the solution to start from the scratch seams the cleanest bun unfortunately there are information on the disks.

What do you mean by to get the pair?

Thank you,

Dan

There are number of way that you can configure for RAID Array (JBOD, RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID5+Spare, and RAID10). I read from your posted, the system configured for RAID10. RAID10 is operated as a pair for data mirror.

Here is some RAID Array infor:

1) JBOD (No data protection, when your disk is bad. You lost all the data). The concept of read/write date is similarly to PC. Fast at first but the more data you have on the disk, it will eventually slow down.)

2) RAID0 (No data protection, however, write data to disk is better in performance. A disk is dead, then data are lost)

3) RAID1 (Data protection. A disk is dead. The other still operating and performance is degrading.)

4) RAID1+Spare (Similarly to RAID1, just auto-rebuild for RAID1 when a disk is failed)

5) RAID5: (Data protection. Minimum of 3 disks. Allowed one disk fails)

6) RAID5+Spare: (Data protection. Required 4 disks. Auto rebuild when a disk failed)

7) RAID10: (Data protection. Working in pair with disk in slot 1/2 is first pair and disks in slot 3/4 is second pair). This is important because disks in slot 1/2 can not be put into slot 3/4 if it already had the RAID10 information. The error I see from the GUI is look like the disk may have been moved or swapped around un-intentional.

Well, actually all the disks are on their original location.

The disk1 and disk2 were pulled (not in the same time) out and put it back again but in the same location.

Is there a way to start the raid again preserving the data on the disks?

Merci,

Dan

Hi Dan-  Sorry for taking too long. I was busy with other project. Anyway, here is my answer to your problem:

Case # 1: If the disk is placed in the original when the RAID array was configured. Then a reboot and/or restore the saved configuration to the NSS will fixed the problem since the setting configuration will read the information from the disk to re-synchronize the RAID array.

Case # 2: There is a console access to internal hardware to get to Linux level (currently, we are not supporting to linux level).  Under Linux command, user can run a sinple command to re-synchronized the RAID array.

I would recommend to call Cisco technical support and talk to them to see if there is anyway a SE can visit your office to help you out. Sorry for the problem that you have, I hope I could help you more but this issue needs to have someone physically there to help you out. I understand the data is very important to you so please call technical support.

I hate to say you have to do again from scratch, this means lost the data (no body like this).

Good lucks.

Hi!

How can I get to the Linux console to run Linux commans?

It might be a very good tool.

thank you,

Dan

Hi.

I have exactly the same problem which is discribed first in this Thread.

We have a NSS 4000.

4 HDs - RAID 5

SATA 2 was faulty an the RAID was degraded

There was no problem with the data on the Volumes. I pulled the disk on SATA 2 (which was the one which no longer was in the RAID). Ich pushed it in again. Then on RAID site i clicked on 'Edit' and then on 'Add'. I thought the RAID would then synchronize the fourth HD and the status is going to be 'Running' and we are safe of one harddisk failiure.

Log:

2010-01-04 13:04:49 RAIDA : Rebuild Finished
2010-01-04 13:04:46 RAIDA has failed.
2010-01-04 13:04:46 RAIDA has suffered a drive failure.
2010-01-04 11:27:15 RAIDA : Rebuild Started

While the process was synchronizing i could access the data on the Volumes.

But after 90 min the RAID was broken. No Access on the data - no shares. The Status is 'Stopped'. All 4 HDs are Online and the Health Status is 'Passed'

If i click on Start:  "Failed to start raid. Please check that all components are present."

I have no saved configuration because i thought that there will be no problem with this 'basic procedure' of a RAID device.

Even if the HD is broken the RAID should be doing his job in 'Degraded' mode. Thats because i am using a RAID.

So am i right that our data is gone because only one HD from a RAID 5 seems to be broken?

Hi,

I don't have the specific detail for the disks setup so I am guessing you have the RAID5+spare since you stated one drive is not in the array.  If a disk is not bad when you pulled out and re-inserted back in. The simplest way is to reboot the unit and you have RAID5 back with out doing any re-synchronization.  You need to do this when replace a bad drive.

Also, any NAS unit, when two drives are pulled and re-inserted. The re-synchronizing will be a problem even the executing command is allowed. Hope you did not pulled out two of them.

The data is alway on the drives and secured.  Can you reboot the unit and let me know if there is still a problem.

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem today, with an NSS4000.

4 x SATA 2Tb WDC-WD20EADS-00S in a RAID5 array.

I received an email alert:

"

Software RAID monitor detected an array in a degraded state.

Degraded Mode Management is disabled, this array will continue to run in degraded mode.

"

I checked the web interface and noticed the array was "Stopped". All 4 disks are PASSED and ONLINE.

When i want to start, i also get the message:

"

Failed to start RAID
Please check that all components are present

"

Any idea what's going wrong and how to solve this issue quickly without loosing any data ?

(We have backup, but not for the 6Tb of data...)

Thanks in advance.

Bert.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content