Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

[SNMP] DoS detected

Hi, I have an NSS326 that I have recently configured to be monitored by ipMonitor. since checking has been added, I am getting bombed with alerts. How can this be disabled, it's not necassary:

Subject:  companynas1 Warning

Server Name: companynas1

IP Address: 192.168.110.7

Date/Time: 2012/02/29 11:26:09

Level:  Warning

[SNMP] DoS detected

2 REPLIES
Silver

[SNMP] DoS detected

Oasis,

Find out what device is trying to log or attempt a connection (could be seen as DOS) and block that device. We have a network monitoring device on our network call (On-plus) this device attempts a log in few time every five minutes it sends out icmp packets do all device was seen as DOS by NSS.  I written a ACL in my switch to block that device or you can add network security on the NSS and block that device. 

Jasbryan

[SNMP] DoS detected

Hi Jasbryan. I don't want to block the connections. I know what device is connecting, my monitoring system is checking the device every so often via SNMP. These checks, which are desired and to be expected, are causing the DoS alerts. But they are false alerts, as checking the device via SNMP is not a DoS attack, it's normal operations.

So, I'd consider this a bug, or a missing but required feature. If the device allows SNMP mgmt, but then sends alerts every time it is checked via said SNMP interface, then it's poorly programmed. There should be a way to whitelist my monitoring system in the NSS326 so that it does not alert when connected to by monitoring system.

Views
Helpful
Replies