Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1921 WAN Speeds are degraded?

Hey all,

I got a 1921 in the Datacenter and it currently has a 100Mb DIA (dedicated internet access). And then 5 L2 MPLS P2P's coming from the remote sites into a single ethernet handoff and separated by different VLANS. I have the router setup for using Sub-Interfaces with each trunking encapsulation set ( router on a stick)

Each remote site's P2P is 5Mb with one of them being 100Mb for the HQ site. When we plugged in the HQ site directly to the DIA, it got 95/95 as it should have with the speed test. Once we got all remote sites up and some servers that were in the Datacenter. The speeds dont get any better than 45/70 now. 

I setup SNMP monitoring and it does not look like there is more than 15Mbit being used at any given time due to the servers. I do not need to do any QoS or traffic shaping as that is done on the ISP side. This isnt the typical Frame relay, or Leased line that we need to keep track of Bandwidth usage.

I have attached some photos to let you see the Traffic.

My question to you all is. Is there a limitation with sub interfaces or anything like that? i just want to make sure I cover all the bases. I cant get the speeds to improve. Keep in mind that only 2 of the 5 sites are active now. The Datacenter servers are local do they get a big chunk of the internet if they need it. 

Only thing I can think of is applying policing to the DC servers or something, but I would think the HQ should be getting better speeds either way. Thoughts?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1921 is NOT designed for 100 Mbps traffic.  If you want a router that can support up to 100 Mbps traffic then you'd be looking at a 3945 or 3925E.

Makes sense. Thanks!!!

Leo, 

Can you explain a little about that traffic limitation? All this is, is a L2 MPLS connection, so its as if it is just a regular ole cable attached...yet its shaped to 100/100 per the contract. so its all connected to gigabit interfaces, I dont see any reason why its struggling. Unless its the fact of how many NAT translations and ACL's are in use that are hurting the throughput. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: