cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3600HGV "modem only mode" connected to Cisco RVS4000?

nettech_gt
Level 1
Level 1

I recently signed up for AT&T Uverse internet. I installed the 2 wire 3600HGV/ RG provided. However I want it to be used as a modem only and connect it to my Cisco RVS4000 router. I have researched online and have talked to AT&T “tech support”. I have been told the 3600HGV does not have a “bridge mode”. But I can enable “DMZ+”. I have configured my router (RVS4000) to “DHCP-Custom” and connected the “WAN” port to port 1 on the 3600HGV. I configured the “DMZ+” on the 3600HGV and set the “allow all” setting. I reset the 3600HGV and my router. I get a public IP on the router but the DNS IP (on the RVS4000) is 192.168.1.254 not the actual DNS IP. (68.94.156.1) So I don't get internet access on any computers unless they are directly connected to the 3600HGV. If I set my router to static for the WAN connection, I then have the option to enter the correct DNS IP. I used the public IP my router got when it was in “DHCP-Custom” for the static IP. Then used the Gateway, Mask, and DNS IPs from my 3600HGV. After rebooting the router I got internet access on all my computers that were directly connected to my router (RVS4000). However I then realized once the lease expires I would have to manually change the IP again. So I talked to AT&T and was told I have to purchase a static public IP. Is there any way for me to connect my RVS4000 to the 3600HGV (in “modem only mode”) with out having to use a static public IP?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, change the LAN IP address of the RVS4000 to something different than 192.168.1.x. Change it to something like 192.168.2.1

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, change the LAN IP address of the RVS4000 to something different than 192.168.1.x. Change it to something like 192.168.2.1

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanx! I ended up chaning the IP on the RG instead but it worked.