Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3600HGV "modem only mode" connected to Cisco RVS4000?

I recently signed up for AT&T Uverse internet. I installed the 2 wire 3600HGV/ RG provided. However I want it to be used as a modem only and connect it to my Cisco RVS4000 router. I have researched online and have talked to AT&T “tech support”. I have been told the 3600HGV does not have a “bridge mode”. But I can enable “DMZ+”. I have configured my router (RVS4000) to “DHCP-Custom” and connected the “WAN” port to port 1 on the 3600HGV. I configured the “DMZ+” on the 3600HGV and set the “allow all” setting. I reset the 3600HGV and my router. I get a public IP on the router but the DNS IP (on the RVS4000) is 192.168.1.254 not the actual DNS IP. (68.94.156.1) So I don't get internet access on any computers unless they are directly connected to the 3600HGV. If I set my router to static for the WAN connection, I then have the option to enter the correct DNS IP. I used the public IP my router got when it was in “DHCP-Custom” for the static IP. Then used the Gateway, Mask, and DNS IPs from my 3600HGV. After rebooting the router I got internet access on all my computers that were directly connected to my router (RVS4000). However I then realized once the lease expires I would have to manually change the IP again. So I talked to AT&T and was told I have to purchase a static public IP. Is there any way for me to connect my RVS4000 to the 3600HGV (in “modem only mode”) with out having to use a static public IP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Hi, change the LAN IP address of the RVS4000 to something different than 192.168.1.x. Change it to something like 192.168.2.1

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
2 REPLIES
Green

Hi, change the LAN IP address of the RVS4000 to something different than 192.168.1.x. Change it to something like 192.168.2.1

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanx! I ended up chaning the IP on the RG instead but it worked.

Views
Helpful
Replies