Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to WAN1 and WAN2 Router from LAN

kbend0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using a RV042 to backup my LTE router (Fritzboc 6840) with an DSL router (Fritzbox 7390). Now to configure the router and access the router for my VOIP telephone line I need access from WAN1 to WAN2 and from the LAN to WAN1 and WAN2. The structure looks like this:

LTE             DSL (public IP)

|                  |

FB6840       FB7390 (192.168.178.202)

|                 |

WAN1         WAN2 (192.168.178.102)

|__________|

|

RV042 (192.168.178.254)

|

LAN

|

PC (192.168.178.100)

The are all in the same subnet (192.168.178) and firewall access rule to access the WAN and LAN and vice versa is set.

Problem a)

If I now try to ping 192.168.178.202 (FB7390) from the PC (192.168.178.100) it doesn't find a route to the FB7390.Hence I cannot administer the FB7390 (as a workaround I use a dirct WIFI connection to the box)

Problem b)

I have a flatrate with the LTE provider for mobile phone calls and I want to use it from the DSL box. Therefore I need a connection between the two boxes. But again no ping possible from FB6840 to FB7390 or vice versa.

Any ideas how I get this to work?

Thanks in advance

Klaus

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Klaus,

If I understand your idea, in one moment you want a packet to come on WAN1 port and to be routed to WAN2 port, whitout entering LAN of RV042.This is not supported from the router. It cannot route trafic between WAN ports, it can only from WAN to LAN and vice versa.

Regards,

Kremena

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Klaus,

Are you using Load Balance or Failover? If you are using Failover, WAN 2 will be down until WAN 1 goes down.

If you want a certain protocol to use one WAN or another, you can configure Protocol Binding.

- Marty

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Helo Klaus,

Based on the Network diagram you are  trying to configure a flat network with all devices internal to your  network having IP address on the same subnet. This is not a typical  network design. You may need to revisit the network architecture to make  sure that the two WAN interfaces have different IP adrresses. If you  want the DSL to use LTE, then you may consider putting the DSL router on  the LAN of RV and have the traffic go through the RV router.

Nagaraja

Hi,

thanks for the quick answers. I'm using loadbalancing (I have noticed that in backup mode the backup is switched off).

I had the WAN Boxes in different subnets (WAN 192.168.178 and LAN in 192.168.1) but I thougt that somehow the routing is not working so I changed all IPs into one subnet.

@Nagaraja: not sure if I understand your last comment. How does the loadbalancer work if I put the DSL in the LAN (port?) of the RV042?

Kind regards

Klaus

Klaus,

I missed that you have the same subnet on the LAN and WAN. You need to have a different subnet on the LAN side and also each WAN should have a unique subnet so you can access the devices.

Problem b)

I have a flatrate with the LTE provider for mobile phone calls and I want to use it from the DSL box. Therefore I need a connection between the two boxes. But again no ping possible from FB6840 to FB7390 or vice versa.

Can you be a little more clear about what you are trying to accomplish?

- Marty

Hi,

yes, the spilt into three subnets did help. I now can see the routers also from the LAN which solves Problem A)

Regarding the access from WAN1 to WAN2 the background is a long story about different flatrates from Provider A and B. To keep it short: DSL is stable but very slow during some hours of the day and attached to WAN2, LTE (4G) is fast but not stable (at least 2-3 hickups per day). Therefore I need the RV042 to keep the LAN clients always online as I need it for my job. The telephone is another issue. The fritzboxes do allow VOIP over their own Internet connection but also using another Fritzbox is possible. I have my telephones connected to the DSL Box (WAN2 = 192.168.179 now) and I have a flatrate for calls to cell phones with my 4G provider (WAN1 = 192.168.178 now). As the 4G keeps failing from time to time it is very annoying when it happens during a telco (and we all know Murphys law). So the ideas is to have the telphones attached to the stable (WAN2) DSL Box and reroute it for calls to cell phones via WAN1 ( which is a feature of the boxes and worked perfectly). If the 4G fails the DSL Box uses its own Internet connection to make the call (but then I have to pay for it).

So I need access from WAN2 (192.168.179) to WAN1 (192.168.178). I tried a static route in the WAN2 Box but it didn't work (I've used the RV042 WAN interface IP: 192.168.179.100 as Gateway).

Kind regards

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

If I understand your idea, in one moment you want a packet to come on WAN1 port and to be routed to WAN2 port, whitout entering LAN of RV042.This is not supported from the router. It cannot route trafic between WAN ports, it can only from WAN to LAN and vice versa.

Regards,

Kremena

Hi,

ok that is the answer I've feared to hear. I will then use a third box in the LAN to do the telephonie.

Thanks for the quick and competent support

Kind regards

Bjoern