cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Affordable IOS Small Business Router?

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I currrently have the RVS4000 and am looking at the RV180, but I'm having an issue with the RV180 supporting the Dynamic DNS service I need (see here). In that discussion, it seems what would be ideal for me is a router running IOS so I could customize the Dyanmic DNS client on there to fit my needs. However, is there any "affordable" router running IOS that's similar to the RV180 tailored to a small business without getting an overkill router?

Here's my basic needs:

• Router either compatible with DNS Made Easy's Dynamic DNS service OR has the ability to customize the Dynamic DNS client on there so I can adapt it for DNS Made Easy.
  • I DO NOT need wireless. We only need Ethernet/wired.
  • I prefer Gigabit Ethernet.
  • We're not currently using ProtectLink, so if it offers the ability for it, great, if not, fine.
  • We have our own VPN service and don't need to access the network remotely (just remote into one device using Dynamic DNS), so if it has built-in VPN, great, if not, fine.
  • I'd like IPS included. Our RVS4000 has it and I like this feature.
  • We're switching to cable broadband and VOIP through our cable company, so QoS should probably be included.

Any info would be much appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It does not run IOS. As to IOS, the main IOS routers are pretty expensive. even a Based ASA5505 which is limited to 10 Users. in comparison to the RV180 i am not 100% sure, but i do know the RV042G boots up in less than half the time the RV180 does.  WebGUI is much more responsive as well.

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

View solution in original post

45 Replies 45

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

The RV042G will be out soon (Middle of June) its a RV042 but with gigabit WAN/LAN ports.

dont think ANY Cisco SB routers support DNS made easy. dyndns.org is the default setting and 3322.org is the other on the RV042G

RV042/RV042G supports 50 VPN tunnels, PPTP clients and QuickVPN clients.

There is also Bandwiidth managment on both WAN ports - rate limit or priority.

hope that helps.

Regards Simon

Regards Simon

How will the RV042G compare to the new RV180?

Does the RV042G run IOS or does Cisco offer any "affordable" IOS router for Small Business?

Thanks!

Does the RV042G run IOS

I don't think so.

It does not run IOS. As to IOS, the main IOS routers are pretty expensive. even a Based ASA5505 which is limited to 10 Users. in comparison to the RV180 i am not 100% sure, but i do know the RV042G boots up in less than half the time the RV180 does.  WebGUI is much more responsive as well.

Regards Simon

Regards Simon

That's what I was thinking on the IOS routers. Pretty $$$. I talked with DNS-ME, and I think I could run their Dynamic DNS client on my Mac since I don't have to have it update the IP 24/7. I boot my Mac up every day, and it pretty much stays online all day except for late at night and early morning, so it should suffice.

As to the RV180 vs RV042G, should I spring for the RV180 now or wait for the RV042G? Which one do you prefer? Sounds like the RV042G is going to be the better router. How does the RV042G compare to the RVS4000 (my current router)?

Couple other quick random questions. I currently have the SG100-08 (older model) switch. Is the newer model out any enhanced? Wondering if I should upgrade to the newer version. Also looking at the SG100-08p switch since I may want PoE for some of my equipment that users PoE.

Also, which of the small business wireless routers would you recommend? I have a client about to upgrade his wireless router. Should he look at the RV180W or a different model?

Thanks again for all your help!

Personally I would possibly got for the RV042G, I've had experience with the RV042 for quiet a few years and is pretty stable in its default form. newer versions tend to have very similar features and only the chipsets seem to change.

I've not used the Cisco switches so I cannot comment really.

As to a wireless router what functions does he needs?

have a look here for some good review info.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

Regards Simon

Regards Simon

Sounds good. I'll compare the two when it comes out and compare both with my current router then make a decision. I'll definitely hold off and look at the RV042G though instead of jumping into the RV180 today. It does sound like it might be the better router.

He's got a Motorola (consumer) wirless router now. I'd like to move him to a Cisco Small Buness router. Bascailly something with N wireless, built in firewall, IPS would be good, VPN OK but not needed. Just a good standard small business wireless router from Cisco.

Thanks!

Couple more quick random questions.

Will the RV042G offer IPS? While I'm at it, does the RV180 offer IPS (Intrusion Prevention System, not IPSec VPN)? I have IPS on my RVS4000 now and wondering if either of these routers offer it. Is IPS something that's really necessary or are routers pretty secure without it?

Also, will the RV042G offer IPv6 support? I see the RV180 does, but it seems the RV042 currently doesn't. Just looking to future proof our equipment.

Third, on either of these wired routers, how hard is it to setup a guest network where I could plug in a machine to a certain port and it be separate from my company network? Sometimes I have to plugin client's machines into my router, and it'd be great if I could ensure they don't have access to any of the other company network.

Lastly, quick question on the RV180W. Is that a multi-band 5.8GHZ N router or a single-band 2.4GHZ N router? Looks like a single-band GHZ. Does Cisco offer any multi-band 5.8GHZ N routers for small businesses?

Thanks!

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

The RV042G supports IPv6 but not IPS.

IPS is good however there is always a downside with small routers. The throughput is lowered considerably when IPS is enabled over WAN. The other setback is the lack of signatures released by Cisco, makes using IPS outdated.

You could if you wanted have an IPS/IDS server on the lan to inspect all packets if you needed too.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Regards Simon

Great to know on the RV042G supporting IPv6. Will look forward to seeing it debut. I'll compare it to the RV180 when it comes out and make my decision on upgrading.

That's what I was thinking about IPS. "Handy" feature but does slow down the network. We may go without it, and if we get more security conscious in the future, look at an IPS server or something else. We run good firewalls at the router and device level, so that should be enough. IPS is probably overkill on our network especially since we're not wireless.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Just give credit where its due by voting on the users post you are thanking

Regards Simon

Do you happen to know when the RV042G will be available to purchase? We're about ready to upgrade our equipment, but I'm trying to hold off and wait and take a look at the RV042G first.

Thanks!

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

I have been told the 13th June as an approximate date.

Regards Simon

Great. That'd be perfect timing then!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: