cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Associate Name to IP - RV220W

doug_counsil
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to associate a name to an IP in the RV220W?  I am coming from a WRVS4400N v2.  Folks are complaining that they can't connect, for example via Real VNC, via the PC name any longer.  They have to use the IP address.  In the past I put the names of the PCs in the WRVS4400N when I reserved IPs via MAC addresses (some call this assigning static IPs).  There isn't any place in the RV220W to put the name.  Even when I look at the DHCP list a lot of them show up as "unknown".  I am sure this is a NETBIOS thing but I'd rather fix this in the router as I have always done in the past.

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for posting. Are you able to reach the devices that do show up in the DHCP list by name? There is a known issue with the DHCP leased clients table not showing all devices according to the Release Notes for 1.0.3.5:

The DHCP Client Table does not show all clients. (CSCtq44404)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv220w/release/notes/rv220w_rn_1-0-3-5.pdf

I'm not sure if this is related or not.

Curtis,

You can edit the LMhost file- People usually use LMhost files for vpn tunnels since many vpn's don't support net-bios traversal

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc977602.aspx

hope this helps,

Jasbryan

That would definitely work.  I was hoping for a solution inside the router itself, but that may not be possible.

It's weird, Real VNC can't resolve the name, but the OS can.  For example, I can ping the computer name or type //[computer name] in the run... window and it will bring up all the computer shares.

I can use the HOSTS/LMHOSTS file as jasbryan suggested but then I have to maintain that file on each server/workstation.

At this point it seems it would be an enhancement request to add the name-to-IP resolution functionality in this router as is in the WRVS4400N v2 router.  I thought I was just simply over looking the screen.