Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I buy an RV220W, I have some preliminary questions...

I'm in the process of moving and relocating services from Provider-A (DSL) to Provider-B (Cable). The new location isn't serviced by Provider-A (or any other DSL provider in the area), so I'm left with the only Cable Internet provider in the area. It's a much more costly option, and leaves me with less functionality, but unfortunately, it's all there is.

My DSL provider has given me a router that provides firewall, router, filter, etc. capabilities, and this allows me to secure machines on the LAN side, as well as pinhole those machines through the router to expose them to the outside world, via a static IP block I've leased from them.

When I move to cable, I'll lose the router and firewall, and be left with a 'dumb' cable modem device, capable of... well, not much.

So I need to toss my unmanaged switches, and buy a firewall, router and managed switch. Herein lies the questions.

First, here's my thoughts, given the current infrastructure at my location:

The RV220W has 4 LAN ports on the back, and a WAN port, so I'm thinking that the configuration would look like this:

{{Internet}} => Cable modem (configured with WAN IP from provider) => RV220W => GS724T-300 managed switch => [LAN hosts]

In this configuration, the LAN side of the cable modem will plug into the back of the RV220W (LAN1), and then the RV220W will feed the switch (LAN2), which all internal LAN hosts would then be physically cabled to.

On the LAN side, I have an ESX server with a few dozen VMs on it, some wireless equipment (printer, laptops, etc.) and a few wired devices (microcell, NAS storage device and similar).

The LAN devices are on 192.168.x.x and 10.0.x.x, and are all working great. The current router pinholes from its public static address (completely separate range from my leased static block) to hosts on the ESX side.

Can I configure the RV220W to permit incoming traffic on various (custom, named) ports to pinhole their way into the hosts on the ESX side? Some of these hosts will have internal 192.x or 10.x addresses, while others will be mapped to Internet-accessible static IP addresses.

How many hosts can I run behind the RV220W, before it "runs out" of either configuration values (max # of port mappings?) or before it runs out of bandwidth to service those hosts behind it?

What else do I need to consider here, so I can keep some hosts on the LAN side protected, and other hosts exposed on a service-by-service or port-by-port basis?

I'm confident this is the right configuration, I just wanted to be sure before I go making an expensive mistake with new kit.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY
Bronze

Before I buy an RV220W, I have some preliminary questions...

Dear David,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

The RV220W features Port Address Translation (PAT), Network Address Port Translation (NAPT), NAT traversal, one-to-one NAT.  I could not find any documentation with the maximum number of NAT entries allowed therefore I suggest you to contact the Small Business Support directly;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport

Just in case below I include the RV220W admin guide in case you would like to know how to go about PAT or NAT settings among all router capabilities and features configurations;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv220w/administration/guide/rv220w_admin_v1.0.1.0.pdf

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is anything I may assist you with in the meantime. Thank you for your time and patience.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content