cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAN'T CONFIGURE BECAUSE SUBNETS ARE DIFFERENT

gwc000002
Level 1
Level 1

We just bought an RV180. It won't configure because the IP given by our IT people is on a different subnet than the gateway. All our computers, and our other router, work fine this way, but the RV180 won't. Is there any way around this?

8 Replies 8

brianwilliams99
Level 1
Level 1

Can you provide more info ? What is the IP of your RV180 ? What is your Gateway IP ? what is your netmask ?

IP of the RV180: 68.181.153.34.

IP of the gateway: 68.181.155.254

Netmask: 255.255.252.0

Hello,

Those IP's are on the same subnet.  The range for that subnet is 68.181.152.1 - 68.181.155.254. No reason the router should bark about wrong subnet.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the problem. The router doesn't detect an internet connection, either if I leave it on DHCP or if I enter the static IP manually. I know the connections' good, because i can plug computers into it and they connect fine.

I'm not really sure if I understand your situation correctly...

You said:

IP of the RV180: 68.181.153.34.

IP of the gateway: 68.181.155.254

Netmask: 255.255.252.0

Maybe you should set the gateway on your hosts to 68.181.153.34 (RV180), and gateway (default-route) for your RV180 to be 68.181.155.254.

brianwilliams99
Level 1
Level 1

Your IP is in the correct subnet for your gateway !!!  Your IP, GW, and MASK are OK. Make sure you set your default route towards your gateway. then make sure your RV180 can ping the default GW. Also, make sure you don't have any firewalls in the path. Also, you probably need to configure the RV180 a little more to ALLOW traffic. Since this is a VPN router, they act like a firewall and the default is to DENY all traffic until you tell it to ALLOW.

Thanks for ther info. I created two firewall rules to allow everything in and out. It didn't detect a network when I tried to configure with DHCP, but when I entered all the istatic IP nfo manually  it says it's conected. It can't ping the gateway though.

Gateway not pingable - Sometimes the GW admin will make it so the GW will not respond to echo requests, this is a security issue. If internet people can not ping your GW then they think it is not there and it will not show on script kiddie reports and they move along and do not try and hack.

Ask your GW admin if it is pingable. He will tell you yes or no. If not, ask him if would adjust the ACL or FW rule to allow your IP to ping his interface which is your GW. If he will not, then try and ping something beyong your GW. Sometimes they block Echo requests on the GW interface but sometimes some inside stuff or stuff beyond is not restricted.

Hope this helps.