Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect QuickVPN to RV120W

jeroenvdbulcke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco RV120W connected to the internet. I have configured a QuickVPN user on the router, but I cannot connect via QuickVPN no matter on what PC I try (with firewall or without firewal, Windows XP, 7, ...). On the router it says the VPN user is connected, but on the client PC I receive remote gateway not responding. In the logs it says failed to ping remote VPN router.

I tried changing all settings I could find on this forum, but the result stays the same (changed port to 60443, deleted all IKE and VPN policies, allowed ping, disabled fragmented packets etc...). None of all the settings seems to get any result...

What else can I try? Anybody can help ?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

11 Replies 11

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

Please post your config as an attachment.

Thanks for your reply. Backup of config attached now.

Jeroen,

When you get failed to ping the remote gateway the IPSec tunnel is up but not fully established yet. The last step is the software sends an ICMP packet to ping the remote gateway to fully establish the tunnel. 98% of the time the ping is getting blocked by 3rd party software on your PC. You said you tried from an XP machine, did you disabled the firewall on the XP machine if so do you have any anti-virus programs that possible is a zone base firewall? You just need to find out why that ICMP packet isn't making it back into your computer.

Jasbryan

Hello Jasbryan,

that is what I have read in other posts on this forum. I tried both a Windows 7 and XP PC, with and without firewall and even without any anti-virus program, the results were all the same. I can see ICMP going from my PC to the gateway address of the LAN side of the router when checking with WireShark, and that is where it ends as far as I can see (I am no network expert unfortunately). The log on the router shows no phase 2 and no phase 1 found.

I think I tried almost all options in the VPN configuration but never got it connected. Default setup just doesn't seem to do the trick.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Hi there,

I found the cisco documentation step by step method of creating vpn on Cisco RV120W.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv120w/administration/guide/rv120w_admin.pdf

Please go throught it.

thanks

Hello,

that is what I did when I first configured the device. But no luck there. After that I changed all settings according to other posts in this forum, but still I cannot get it to work. Having tried from 3 PC's with different OS and with firewall and anti-virus on and off I am starting to think something is wrong in the VPN config on the router. Unfortunately I am no expert in VPN, I hoped configuration would be working after the basic setup.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Jeroen,

You can give us a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and have next available engineer help trouble shoot your issue. We will test in the lab and make sure it's not PC related or configuration related. Many times customer local ip address range is the same as the remote ip address range and this will not allow a connection but give SBSC a call and open a support case and we can assist. All support numbers

Jasbryan

The ISP confirmed their router is correctly configured (all ports forwarded, a lot of happy customers having no problems with setting up a VPN with the identical router setup they have implemented).

So I called Cisco support in Belgium :

Cisco only provides support when the Cisco router is directly connected to the public IP address and does not support double NAT. The ISP does not support full transparant mode of their equipment.

Anybody has another working solution with the RV120W or do I have to start looking for another device ?

Jeroen,

Qvpn is just a utility that allows you to quickly configure the IPSec client that is built into windows machines. This IPSec client does not work well behind another NATTED router. So there isn’t a work around for Qvpn. You could try using another vpn technology. You might want to step up to the RV220W since it has a PPTP server and SSL server which both should work behind another NATTED router.

Jasbryan

Hello Jasbryan,

thanks for your explanation. I will advice to replace the RV120W by the RV220W. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Francis LAPORTE
Level 1
Level 1

Reinit net interfaces:

cmd in admin mode

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: