cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot connect to WRVS4400n v2 for cctv

taladro97
Level 1
Level 1

after being able to see the cctv on the local network and remotely, we are simply not able to connect remotely again. This happens several hours after leaving site. The clients ip seems to be unchanged from last time, and we do get a " resource online but isn't responding to connections attempts" message from IE8. The ports have never actually shown as open from online port verification sites, but again, we were able to see the cams via 3g and from another town just fine.And we can see them on the locally. I'm convinced it has to be some setting on the router relevant to port forwarding. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Pedro,

Haven't seen any cases with port forwarding issue for WRVS4400N so this would be really strange if port forwarding was the cause. So the only issue now is remotely? I would check my ip configuration of the computer/DVR hosting my cameras. Did the client install any type of firewall? Since this is coming from an outside address firewalls knows where that packet was sent from and knows it's not part of the local network and would drop it. It work before and not now so maybe reboot the WRVS4400N just to make sure connection didn't get locked instead when it should have been dropped. Has anything changed with the configuration, if you client/customer said that didn't i usually double check b/c what they think isn't a change could have a major effect on how things operate. Also under administration tab make sure you have incoming logs enabled so you can see when those packets hits the router and where they are forwarded too, this will provide your next step of where to trouble shoot. You can setup another machine that has wire shark and run a packet capture on the port that the Computer/DVR is connected to. Port mirroring option is under L2 Switch. This will allow you to sniff all packets in and out of that computer/DVR.

Make sure the WRVS4400N is running latest firmware as well

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Pedro,

Haven't seen any cases with port forwarding issue for WRVS4400N so this would be really strange if port forwarding was the cause. So the only issue now is remotely? I would check my ip configuration of the computer/DVR hosting my cameras. Did the client install any type of firewall? Since this is coming from an outside address firewalls knows where that packet was sent from and knows it's not part of the local network and would drop it. It work before and not now so maybe reboot the WRVS4400N just to make sure connection didn't get locked instead when it should have been dropped. Has anything changed with the configuration, if you client/customer said that didn't i usually double check b/c what they think isn't a change could have a major effect on how things operate. Also under administration tab make sure you have incoming logs enabled so you can see when those packets hits the router and where they are forwarded too, this will provide your next step of where to trouble shoot. You can setup another machine that has wire shark and run a packet capture on the port that the Computer/DVR is connected to. Port mirroring option is under L2 Switch. This will allow you to sniff all packets in and out of that computer/DVR.

Make sure the WRVS4400N is running latest firmware as well

Jasbryan

There are no Pc's in the house, The client is even more computer iliterate than i am. Trust me, he's made no changes. There are only a handfull of ipads, and a Control4 automation system working for 2 years now with this router. The Cameras DVR is brand new. Firewall has been disengaged on the router. Nothing else other than Port forwarding set-up, to the best of my ability, has been done. And we got the same reaction two different times, different days, were we could see them remotely for a while and then theyre gone. We are getting the massage i mentioned above. Could you help me with ideas on how to correctly set up port frowarding?

Pedro,

Please enabled the firewall/IPS and test again.

Jasbryan 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: