cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2821 makes clicking sound from Power Supply (broken?)

roel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

A few weeks ago I noticed my Cisco 2821 was down, while the power switch was still in the ON position.
When I switched it to the OFF and again to the ON position, I noticed a clicking sound from the the power supply  (about two clicks a seconds, looks like a switching relay).

I quickly replaced the 2821 with an 2811 which I had on spare and ordered a New power supply for the 2821.

When the new power supply arrived, I inserted it in the 2821 AND also plugged in a 2300RPS which I still had and wasn't using before.

I turned on the 2821 and still heared the Clicking sound... however, it was booting.  When I unplug the normal power cable or switch off the power-swich, the 2821 stays on and I don't hear the clicking sound anymore.  I assume the device is running from the RPS.

Now,.. IF the mainboard of the 2821 was broken and made a short-circuit and that's what make the power supply click (short-circuit protection or something) then Why is it running from RPS power.. ?   Probably my old Power supply isn't broken at all.. ?

Did anyone heard this sound before?

(I opened the cover of the 2821 and put my ear in the device...The clicking sound is clearly coming from the Power Supply, from the corner where the regular power cable is connected).

- Roel Broersma

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd get that appliance RMA-ed.

Joe Sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen the same problem from a 2901 that I have but haven't been able to fix it yet.  Not under contract, so I'm looking for any little thing that might fix it.