cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Cable Modem?

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

Does Cisco manufacture a Small Business Cable Modem that's fully DOCSIS compatible that we could purchase when we switch to Cable Broadband in the near future? They're offiering us a Motorola modem, but I prefer Cisco-brand products.

Thanks!

23 Replies 23

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for sharing. Those snom dect phones look really cool, I just popped over to their site, and fairly inexpensive for what you get. I'm glad Ring Central stood by their hardware recommendation and got it all working with you.

Have you ever been over on the dslreports.com forum? I'm just making a guess, but it seems like you like to stay cutting edge and know a bit more than the average user. I think you'd like the group over there. Always a huge amount of information, probably have a forum specific to your cable provider, and many of the posters are well versed in the non-Cisco tech. You might even be able to unload your phones over there in the for sale section

Best,

David

They are good phones for the price. I'm sure the Polycoms and stuff are "fancier", but hard to beat the price for what you get. Took a few tries with RingCentral to get it going, but we got there eventually. Just had to keep hammering away until we got it.

I've been over to DSLReports.com in the past but never signed up for an acocunt. I probably should since it does look like a great forum to be a member of. I do try to keep on the cutting edge and do have good technical knowledge. Thanks for reminding me about it and I'll go have another look.

XenoforoKid
Level 1
Level 1

Hey. I find these forums slow at times as well. Is anyone else having issue logging in with Cisco app for android?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Jase, yes I have had issues previously with the android app. Let's hope that Cisco can make it as good as the iPad app is.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Regards Simon

I use the iPhone app, so I haven't had issues yet. Have had issues from my web browser from time to time.

Update: Chatted with my cable provider, they push all firmware updates over the network. All I have to worry about is keeping all my other devices' firmware up-to-date, but at least the modem isn't one of them! :-)

David, I wanted to give you an update on my IP phone situation since last time I posted things took a major change. First off, Snon canceled our order on the additional M9 handsets since they were out of stock. Additionally, we were experiencing issues with the one Snom M9 handset we had, so we sent it back to the manufacturer and asked for a full refund. All about this time, we were having major issues with reliability with our ISP. We were paying for 16 down and getting .1 most of the time (at $75/month I'll add!). So we've changed ISP's from cable back to DSL (which means parting with my Cisco Cable Modem, but at least our DSL provider has a DSL modem IPv6 ready so I'm not too upset) and we're on slower daily speeds (3 down), but it's reliable. It holds a constant speed instead of the headache we had with cable. We also ditched RC for our VOIP service and took out basic landline since we could bundle. Some fancy features aren't there, but at least we have a reliable phone and DSL service now, all our existing phones work great (thankfully I didn't sell them yet!), and we're saving quite a bit of money a month on our bill and with not needing some of the equipment. I'm still going to use the RV042G and SG200-08 to power the network though since it's excellent gear and is playing perfectly with our DSL.

Hi Nathan,

Wow things really took a turn for the worse there. When I saw an update post in my email I was hoping to hear you were loving the snoms. I understand your frusturation with cable, its hit or miss on so many factors out of your control. I'm very lucky that I've got fiber at both home and work I don't think I could ask for any better tv and video service that fios provides for my home. I guess I am lucky in that I have verizon fios coverage in my area otherwise I'd be stuck at the cable co's mercy as well.

The RV042G and SG200 will serve you well no matter the service you pair them with, so long as you actually get a connection. Hope everything works out. There are still some out there that love their plain old copper line.

Best,

David

Yeah, it was a nightmare to put it lightly! I just moved from a place that rolled out fiber right after I move. Can you believe that! :-) I've heard FIOS is great. Wish I could give it a try. Using AT&T Phone and DSL, and even after a recent storm, it still kept ticking. A friend of ours on cable has been out for days. For TV, I've cut the bill almost completely and using an HD antenna. I don't watch too much TV since I work hard, but we're getting 20 channels for no monthly bill all in HD. Picture quality is pretty good too, and even during the storm, our important locals where we could get a weather update never lost signal (some switched to SD, but were still watchable). To have DVR features, I sprang for the TiVo. $15/month and works great. Can even stream the occasional movie if I want.

Yep, in my case the plain old copper line just works. If they roll out fiber here, I'll sure give it a spin, but in the meantime, at least it's reliable.

BTW, my SG200 had to be reset after cable mucked with it, and the time settings are spitting out 1970 again. I'll go back to the other thread and re-read your instructions to see if I can get it to sync back to 2012 again, and if I run into an issue, I'll holler back on that thread and let you know what's happening. I'll re-read all the previous notes first to see if I can just repeat what I did last time to get it going. Once I get it set this time, everything should be pretty stable. Unlike the cable techs, AT&T's techs never touch my personal equipment without me present since they know I keep the settings pretty much stable and working properly.

Thanks!