Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV110W VPN Setup.

bndbrennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a new RV100W Router. I would like to use it for iPhones,PC's, and MAC's to connect via IPSec (QuickVPN) or PTTP.

Everytime I go to setup VPN, it tells me I must change to a 10.x.x.1 network. How can I use VPN without doing so?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi bndbrennan,

Try changing the IP address, set up your VPN clients, then change the IP back to 192.168.1.1. The reason the router wants to change is because there are so many routers out there that have 192.168.1.1. If you ever try to connect from one of those routers the connection will fail. We see a lot of people that use 192.168.2.1 and it works fine.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi bndbrennan,

Try changing the IP address, set up your VPN clients, then change the IP back to 192.168.1.1. The reason the router wants to change is because there are so many routers out there that have 192.168.1.1. If you ever try to connect from one of those routers the connection will fail. We see a lot of people that use 192.168.2.1 and it works fine.

Thank You. That worked to allow me to add users and setup vpn. Now, I cannot connect via the iPhones PPTP Client.

Would the address for the vpn service just be the public ip of our router? Do I have to open any ports?

Router is at 192.168.1.1 for private use

VPN Server is set to 192.168.1.9

with clients going to 192.168.1.200 to 214

Any other suggestions?

Hi bndbrennan,

The address is the public IP address of the router. If that changes frequently, consider using a free service such as dyndns.com to give you a permanent URL to connect to instead of the IP. (You can also pay your ISP for a static IP)

I'm not sure why your iPhone is not connecting. It sounds like you have it set up right. You may wish to reach out to the Apple community and see if there are any known issues or special settings for the iPhone. Are you connecting from the LAN or from another location over the internet?

bndbrennan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Again. Worked. I can connect my MacBook's to the VPN..However the iOS Devices are saying that the cannot connect to the PPP.

It is most likley an iPhone issue.

Hi bndbrennan,

I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not but I just read another post where someone verified that they are now able to connect to an RV220W using PPTP with an iPhone and iPad.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3462377#3462377

Apparently the only thing that changed is the firmware was upgraded on the RV220W. Do you have the latest firmware on the RV110W? (Version 1.0.1.6 was released August 10, 2011)

Thanks.

I ordered a 220w yeaturday to use.

Our RV110w is runnning 1.0.0.2, so I will update it as soon as the nextwork has some downtimes. I didnt think of checking that.

hey man, can you help me to configure that router????

Did you read the quick start, or call the tech support numbers?

I would start with that, first.

The quick start guide is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv110w/quick_start/guide/Published/rv110w_quick_start_en.pdf

There's also an admin guide, here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv110w/administration/guide/rv110w_admin.pdf

Just a quick word of general advice, if you're having trouble connecting to this, maybe try a different browser or two. That actually has helped me with this model.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: