Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV120W drop internet connection

merowingi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco RV120W router with 1.0.4.10 firmware.

The router drop the internet connections, freeze/timeout in admin interface randomly.

How can I determine that this is the router's fault, or if it's the switch / internet access is causing it?

Thanks for answers,

Viktor

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Viktor, there isn't enough information to say what is the problem.

What network equipment do you have connecting to the router?

When the internet connection drops, are you able to connect a computer directly to your modem and access the internet?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

The router direct connecting to the 20mb line, what was obtained from the office house.

I use a tp-link switch to internet distribution (it has been replaced, but the problem does not go away)

I have not tried to connect without the router, because it only takes a few seconds.

After that the connection is re-established itself

It is usually best to troubleshoot the furthest upstream device and work your way down.

You may also try to bypass the switch, put the router directly to the modem, does the problem follow?

If it does, eventually you'll have to test or replace the modem.

Does the router have any error messages in the log? Are you able to manage the router when the internet goes down? Does your computer still have a LAN ip address? Is there any differenece between wired or wireless connections?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Ok, i'll try to connect directly to the router.

The log is empty, when the connection is down the router is not answering (timeout, the browser freeze).

The desktop pc's has a fix ip address, and other device is has a dhcp address in this network.

Network Range: 192.168.0.1/24

192.168.0.1: router

192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.20: desktop with fix ip address

192.168.0.70: network printer

192.168.0.100: server

192.168.0.150 - 192.168.0.160 (dhcp range): wifi devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops)

Interesting in the logs, when I'll try send a test e-mail do nothing, but the smtp configuration is correct.

jseidens
Level 1
Level 1

I appear to have the same type of problem. Even the basic config does not "always" allow for Internet access. Admin access is sometimes slow or fails. The workstations all show no internet, but the device status shows internet traffic. One device will get access, then will fail. Simple config: direct Internet connection to the RV120W, static IP from ISP, latest firmware. When it "does" work, which is off and on, the WAN bandwidth rarely approaches the 50 MBPS pipe we are paying for. A Cisco chat session told us this would work for us, but we have been really disappointed. Configuration is pretty easy, but just does not appear stable. Anyone have any luck with this device?

After I flashed the new 1.0.5.6 firmware the problem was solved, so try the newest firmware. But I think the 1.0.3.10 firmware is faster than all other.

Thank you for the response. Already tried the latest Firmware. That was our first step in trying to resolve. I may have to continue with the old device we have (GASP!) until we can open a support ticket with Cisco to determine what the probelm(s) may be.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: