Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco RV180 and Wake-On-Lan (WOL)

Hello,

I got a RV180 (firmware version: 1.0.1.9) and I am bit surprised by the lack of the configuration flexibility...

I am trying to use Wake-On-Lan (from internet) to wake up a machine in my home (trying to be green and not keep the machine on all the time, just when i need it).

The configuration is quite simple:

Work machine ----> (internet) ----> (WAN) RV180 (LAN) ----> Home Machine (off, linux, wol enabled for UNICAST and Magic Packet - flags "ug")

What i tried so far:

1. All the following RV180 settings together:

a. Used Port Forwarding from the WAN IP to the Home Machine IP (UDP port 7 and 9)

- i had no choice but to put the Home Machine's IP address, since i cannot put the BROADCAST address (xxx.xxx.xxx.255) <- forbidden in the configuration page (i wonder if a new version of firmware allows this)

b. Used Static DHCP to pair the Home Machine's IP to it's MAC address

c. Used IP/MAC binding for the Home Machine

2. All the following RV180 settings together:

a. Created a PPTP VPN connection

b. Connected from the Work machine (obtained a LAN IP, can ping the Home Machine if it is on)

c. Tried to send a broadcast message to LAN (no success !)

3. I also tried to activate the MULTICAST and BROADCAST WOL flags on the Home Machine but it seems that it receives some messages and the machine wakes up in a very short amount of time after i shut it down (it seems that RV180 sends some messages over LAN by itself).

In all the 3 possibilites above i was not successful in using WOL....

Is there any possibility to use WOL from internet in this configuration ?

Are there new options that will allow WOL from internet in the latest firmware ?

Any advice is appreciated

Thank you

Mircea

Everyone's tags (5)
1 REPLY
Bronze

Cisco RV180 and Wake-On-Lan (WOL)

Dear Mircea,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

I was researching about your concern and found several people with the same inquiry where they were told WoL is not a supported feature on these Small Business Routers and that I think is a correct assumption, however I found the below threat where someone with a similar case scenario as yours were able to make it work, it's on a different RV router but I thought I may be interesting for you to check;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2188810

Please let me know if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.
Views
Helpful
Replies